El_Capitan's System Builds

El_Capitan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Thats awesome. If you ever want to get rid of an old rig let me know!

Nice Sig, lol Uni core of death LMFAO. I bet your hitting upper 70's FPS in Metro with that rig?

• 9 months later...

Capi, please enlighten me.

How in the name of Bosco, do you afford all those rigs?

Lol. I find deals, sell or use some in custom builds to make money, and use the profits for upgrades. Finding deals is where it's at, and getting some extra side cash from custom builds. I have another MSI GTX 580 1.5GB (after a trade + cash, it ended up being $290 total), just waiting in my test bench until my HD 6970's get sold, and an EVGA GTX 580 3GB coming ($325 after a trade + cash).

I also save and use my rewards points from my credit cards to purchase items at Best Buy. Their prices are inflated, but every once in a while they have a decent sale. I have $230 ready to use for a purchase.

I seem to find ways to make money on all my hobbies. For basketball leagues, I record videos of the championship games and edit them. In return, I get to register a free team for a season. Each season is 3-4 months, and a team cost is usually $1200. :P

Again a reason to live in the US. We don't have the same types of coupons, MIR, credt card reward point etc.

But I guess I should try to promote my pc building service a little more. Could get me a few bucks on the side :)

How much would you say your main rig is worth?

How much would you say your main rig is worth?

I started in 2009 with a $560.32 build. I have a spreadsheet since then of how much it cost for purchasing and how much money I made from selling/leasing (leasing for work when I was contracting).

Basically, the amount of profit I made just from selling, doing custom builds, leasing for work comes down to +$722.85. That means I have that much to spend to break even. So my main rig is worth -$162.53. :P

However, it doesn't account for the electric bill or software (except for my server), so it's really tough to really know for sure.

To build my main rig with brand new identical parts would probably cost around $4k, which is crazy. I'd never spend that much on a system, but I have like 4 of them after 3 years. :dunno:

What are you working as? I assume you're in the IT business.

Pretty neat idea with the spreadsheet. So you basically record everything going in and out in a simple + and - way?

What are you working as? I assume you're in the IT business.

Pretty neat idea with the spreadsheet. So you basically record everything going in and out in a simple + and - way?

Yeah, in the computer software industry. Yeah, I keep everything on record.

Can you be a little more specific on your job title? The reason I'm asking is because I'm currently trying to figure out what sub fields there are in the IT industry. I'd like to enter the IT industry, however, I can't seem to find what field in particular, since I'm not really intrigued about programming, and I'm sure there's a lot of other things you can do in the software business.

• 6 months later...

Updated my test bench (System 5) with an i7 3770K today. Just started running stress tests. Looks like my first stable run is at 4.8GHz at 1.410 Vcore. I did change the TJmax from 95C to 105C. The temps are quite hot, but as long as it's under 90C, it should be ok. I'm using the exact same TIM and setup as my i7 2700K before it.

System 5 (Test Bench)

CPU: i7 3770K @4.8 GHz w/HT 1.410 Vcore BIOS 3402; 1.408V - 1.416V CPU-Z | Maingear Epic T1000 + Swiftech Apogee XT 120.3 Push + Pull (5v) Max 86C Prime95

CPU: i7 2700K @4.9 GHz w/HT 1.420 Vcore BIOS 3402; 1.416V - 1.424V CPU-Z | Maingear Epic T1000 + Swiftech Apogee XT 120.3 Push + Pull (5v) Max 67C Prime95

CPU: i7 2700K @5.0 GHz w/HT 1.460 Vcore BIOS 3402; 1.464V - 1.472V CPU-Z | Maingear Epic T1000 + Swiftech Apogee XT 120.3 Push + Pull (5v) Max 70C Prime95

Edited by El_Capitan