Redneck or ghetto engineered Ram coolers

38 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of engineering/rig is this

The Makeshift memory Crisis.

The other day I was discussing the ram issue on my rig with corsair and afterfiguring out the issue Corsair said they want to RMA my ram. That is a good thing but here is the issue. What am I going to do about the missing ram in my system while I wait. I most certainly do not want to go without my machine operational for 5-10 days while I wait on Corsair to give me a new set. So here is what I did.

I went down to the local computer shop in OKC and bought me a pair of EL cheapo DDR3 1333 (2x2 gig timings 9-9-9-24 1N @ 1.50v). After some time passed by I got bord. all of the sudden I want to overclock them. After getting the overclock on them to 1866mhz @ 10-10-10-30 3N @1.65v. Thats pretty impressive for a pair of 30 dollar a piece sticks. After running Memtest86 through several segments and OCCT linpak I was satisfied that they were perfectly stabled out. After that I thought to check there temperature. YIKES. 124F and rising under occt. That's enough of that noise. I then though whats a home made solution to this issue. :doh:

Here is the solution. Go find you some copper, aluminum, bronze or just about any kind of metal. Here is what I used, they are copper shims that Bishop245 had laying around at the shop he works at.

DSCF0743.jpg

Next was figuring out How to make them into a cooler for the ram. Well quite frankly it would have been easier if they had chips on both sides And i could use an aftermarket stick on cooler but just my luck they are one sided. So I went ahead and made a more permanent solution. I rolled one stick of the copper into a steel roll and AS5 epoxied another piece to make a contact plate for the ram. In the end it ends up looking like a "heat pipe". Pretty neat IMHO. This is what they end up looking like Before I decided to cut some notches into the copper to aid cooling.

Just a minor note. Do those sticks not look pathetic next to that massive water block and array of extremely expensive components.

DSCF0721.jpg

DSCF0727.jpg

DSCF0730.jpg

And now I glue them together.

DSCF0737.jpg

After I let them sit for about an hour they were good and stuck to the ram. For grins I went ahead I went ahead and tested them in the system.

And the end result

2011-01-09152217.jpg

And here they are in the case. :rofl:

2011-01-09152524-1.jpg

Don't they look so ghetto. Ghetto, yes they are a described. If I was to try and place them in real life these things in my case would be like a Worn out 5 tones Cutlass sitting in the valet lane at the Rits Carlton Hotel.. But they operate as a heatsink well and serve as a good heat sink. Here are my results taken with my Exergen DX5014 temperature gauge.

Note: All temperatures were done with passive cooling. I brought my system down to a very minimal overclock so I could run the radiator run the radiator fans at the lowest speed possible without them stopping... That is just under 900 rpm

Temperatures without coolers.

Under occt linpak stock: 99f idle 111f load

Under occt linpak Overclocked: 110f idle, 128f load

Temperatures with coolers.

Under occt linpak stock with coolers: 85f idle, 95f load

Under occt linpak with coolers Overclocked: 94f Idle, 104.5f Load :woot:

Well as ugly as they look they work sufficiently. Over a 20f difference in temperature is nothing to be ashamed of... except maybe the way they look.

Hope everyone enjoys this. It was just a couple hours out of a day where I modded, Overclocked, and made every attempt to burn up a set of ram. Now they shall stay good and cool.

Edited by boinker

Asus P6T7 WS supercomputer X58 Chipset $ 399

Intel I7 920 do stepping $ 279

Nvidia GTX 480 $ 449

advanced Water cooling system $ 300

fancy hard drives psu case and drives $ 250

gluing bits of copper to a $20 stick of ddr3 and letting it adorn your 2000 dollar rig, priceless

Those are copper shims made by erico a division of the caddy corp part number B140A specs: .013" x 3" x 1.5" if you have access to an electrical supply they can order these easily if they dont have them in stock.

I voted redneck since thats what i was calling it as we went through things here at the office to find something that may work then i remembered those wonderful lil shims but well after tellin him to do psywars penny ram sink mod from WAY back in the day :thumbsup: