Errors in memtest86 3.5a

Brutality

So I just got these brand new Transcend aXeRAM 1066MHz dimms (2x2GB) which are supposed to run 1066MHz (5-5-5-15) at 2.0V

After setting it to 1066MHz (5-5-5-15) at 2.0V in BIOS it gets errors at test 6 in memtest86 3.5a, but at all auto (i.e. 800MHz 5-5-5-18 (at 1.8V I guess?)) it runs fine (at least for the first 15 mins), so I tried to set to voltage to auto and timings to auto at 1066MHz and it gets errors at test 1 or 2 already...

Have I got some faulty DIMMs or do I fail at setting up my DIMMs?

Cheers Brutality

Note: seems weird to me, but in memtest86 3.5a it says they're running DDR1068 instead of 1066, might be a some rounding but just seemed weird, and at 800MHz it says DDR799

Edited by Brutality

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think your mixing things up because 800mhz is 1600 DDR. if you bought ram to run at 1066mhz thats like DDR 2200

Yeah sorry I meant I got 2x2GB 1066MHz DDR2 dimms from Transcend (aXeRAM) and in memtest86 it says they're running 1068MHz (i.e. 534MHz dual channel)

Either way, I just tried with 1002MHz auto timings (i.e. 5-5-5-18 according to memtest86) at 2.0V and it did a pass (15 mins) fine... but I prefer them at 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 as they are supposed to

Edited by Brutality

(assuming you have tried to return them on warranty)

it says in your sig that your processor is at almost 4GHz. This with a 9.5 multiplier gives FSB = 3923/9.5= 413 MHz. That (if you use the DDR-800 multiplier) yeilds RAM speed of 992 MHz. if you try any higher multiplier it will be above specification so isn't this enough?

(assuming you have tried to return them on warranty)

it says in your sig that your processor is at almost 4GHz. This with a 9.5 multiplier gives FSB = 3923/9.5= 413 MHz. That (if you use the DDR-800 multiplier) yeilds RAM speed of 992 MHz. if you try any higher multiplier it will be above specification so isn't this enough?

oh soz about the sig that's old info >_< I've put the cpu back to stock, and no I haven't RMA'd them

Edited by Brutality

Brut - the first step would be to test each stick individually at the mfgs' rated speed, timing and voltage. If each stick passes individually then you probably just have a BIOS setting that needs adjusted.

If you do indeed have a bad stick then it should manifest itself when you're testing them individually.

Let us know the results. Please run Memtest for longer than 15 minutes. Four to six hours should tell us everything we need to know.

In the mean time post up all of your BIOS settings related to your memory, including secondary and subtimings.

Brut - the first step would be to test each stick individually at the mfgs' rated speed, timing and voltage. If each stick passes individually then you probably just have a BIOS setting that needs adjusted.

If you do indeed have a bad stick then it should manifest itself when you're testing them individually.

Let us know the results. Please run Memtest for longer than 15 minutes. Four to six hours should tell us everything we need to know.

In the mean time post up all of your BIOS settings related to your memory, including secondary and subtimings.

Ok what do I test them at ? auto all the way (800MHz 5-5-5-18 at 1.8V I think) or 1066MHz (5-5-5-15) at 2.0V?

and yeah I will test one at a time

About BIOS: I have reset CMOS so everything is just at auto I guess

Edited by Brutality

Brut,

You need to test them at the factory spec. speed timing and voltage. So if the RAM is rated at DDR2 1066Mhz then test the individual modules at DDR2 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15 primary timings and 2.0 vdimm.

What memory multiplier and strap have you been using?

Brut,

You need to test them at the factory spec. speed timing and voltage. So if the RAM is rated at DDR2 1066Mhz then test the individual modules at DDR2 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15 primary timings and 2.0 vdimm.

What memory multiplier and strap have you been using?

u can't choose memory multiplier on P5Q (or at least not my verison of it, think it's some eco green version (P5Q <GREEN>), strap? I would guess default since I've reset CMOS

Brut - memory multiplier dynamically changes based on the FSB you choose and then the DRAM frequency that you set. See the AI Tweaker Menu (under DRAM Frequency). When you change this from "Auto" and manually select a frequency - the BIOS is changing your memory multiplier to yield the frequency that you have selected.

Your board has four different FSB to Northbridge straps - 200Mhz, 266Mhz, 333Mhz and 400Mhz and Auto of course. Of those 200Mhz is the tightest strap and 400Mhz is the loosest strap. If you choose Auto then the strap is chosen based on the FSB and DRAM frequencies that you've chosen.

Brut - memory multiplier dynamically changes based on the FSB you choose and then the DRAM frequency that you set. See the AI Tweaker Menu (under DRAM Frequency). When you change this from "Auto" and manually select a frequency - the BIOS is changing your memory multiplier to yield the frequency that you have selected.

Your board has four different FSB to Northbridge straps - 200Mhz, 266Mhz, 333Mhz and 400Mhz and Auto of course. Of those 200Mhz is the tightest strap and 400Mhz is the loosest strap. If you choose Auto then the strap is chosen based on the FSB and DRAM frequencies that you've chosen.

Okay, I guess the strap is on auto then (hence the CMOS reset)

Anyways testing one of the dimms at 1066Mhz (5-5-5-15) at 2.0V and no errors so far (1½ pass, 14 mins) so maybe the other dimm is faulty... anyways gonna let the DIMM run for at least 4 hours just to make sure =)

I haven't tried RMA'ing anything before, how do you do it? (in case the other DIMM is faulty, I guess I gotta RMA it?)