how to boost voltage?

Gatsu

Ok i founded C1E and i disable it, and now i can see the correct multiplier at everest (used to show only 6, instead of 9) but couldnt find "intel speed step" think it may have some other name?

i wasnt able to go higher then 09.0 on the multiplier, don't let me do it. Wen i write an higher number it reset to 09.0 automatically.

About the fsb frequency, i only was allowed to go at 405, if i go higher my comp reset/freeze.

i just woke up, 2 min ago.. ill go get something for breakfast, ill check again in around 10 min ^^ .

As always, big thanks for the help!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 is the default and max multiplier for that processor.

405x9=3645

looks like you're getting up there. you may need to start increasing your voltages to go beyond the 405 mark you're currently stuck at. also, it could be that your memory really doesn't like anything past ddr2-800. try to set a memory divider that puts your memory below its rated speed, and then try to work your fsb back up. increase voltage as necessary

change memory speed to ddr533 or 667 if it is possible, the try the fsb some more.

Why should he disable speedstep? thats whats keeping processors alive (i.e. not overheating)

i guess with a decent cooler (what cooler do you have by the way) you should land around 4-4.3Ghz as a final overclock, but that is with voltages (which you shouldn't do without a great cooler) otherwise about 3.8-4GHz. My brother has one of those processors and a cold winter day he got it up to 4.8GHz so anything is possible :evilgrin:

9 is the default and max multiplier for that processor.

405x9=3645

looks like you're getting up there. you may need to start increasing your voltages to go beyond the 405 mark you're currently stuck at. also, it could be that your memory really doesn't like anything past ddr2-800. try to set a memory divider that puts your memory below its rated speed, and then try to work your fsb back up. increase voltage as necessary

well: CPU VID 1.2250 V (copy from everest)

with the program "cpu-z" it saids Core voltage 1.288v

not sure which voltage you rlly mean, on bios i see alot of them, core, ram, etc.. for set voltage.

and how much should i increse?

what you mean with the memory divider? (srry for my ingnorance ;S )

Timing:

DRAM frequency - 405.0mhz

FSB:DRAM - 1:1

CAS# Latency (CL) - 5.0

RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) - 6

RAS# Precharge (tRP) - 6

Cycle Time (tRAS) - 18

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) - 54

Command Rate (CR) - 2T

change memory speed to ddr533 or 667 if it is possible, the try the fsb some more.

Why should he disable speedstep? thats whats keeping processors alive (i.e. not overheating)

i guess with a decent cooler (what cooler do you have by the way) you should land around 4-4.3Ghz as a final overclock, but that is with voltages (which you shouldn't do without a great cooler) otherwise about 3.8-4GHz. My brother has one of those processors and a cold winter day he got it up to 4.8GHz so anything is possible :evilgrin:

yeah m pretty sure EVERYTHING! is posible :D (my prev comp.. celeron D 2.26.. i boost it up to 3.5ghz ;P )

so well i already said it, but np is an regular 775, the one which came with the micro:

cooler775.jpg

And yes.. wen i set it at 420 the fsb frequency went to 3.8ghz, but the comp freeze, reset itself so.. thats y i stuck at 405.

Tell me more about the voltage, what is all about ? how much should i raise it up? how should i test it? how much should i raise every time ? what are the risk of it? how can i relise i'm not above the voltage my comp support?

To manny questions xD .

Thanks to both of you :) .

his memory is already running 810mhz. speed step does not keep your processor alive, it save on the power bill from not running needless cycles. internally there are gates inside a processor that control voltage. the more voltage you give it, the quicker these gates corrode away and thats what kills processors. heat is only a factor for 2 reasons. 1. there is a thermal limit that the material can't handle; 2. the material expands and contracts based on the temperature. thats why cooler temps yield a higher overclock. the silicon contracts more tightly around the gates and helps with voltage leakage.

well: CPU VID 1.2250 V (copy from everest)

with the program "cpu-z" it saids Core voltage 1.288v

not sure which voltage you rlly mean, on bios i see alot of them, core, ram, etc.. for set voltage.

and how much should i increse?

what you mean with the memory divider? (srry for my ingnorance ;S )

Timing:

DRAM frequency - 405.0mhz

CAS# Latency (CL) - 5.0

RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) - 6

RAS# Precharge (tRP) - 6

Cycle Time (tRAS) - 18

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) - 54

Command Rate (CR) - 2T

thats your current memory divider or ratio. memory can get a bit confusing but basically you take your fsb and multiply it by 2 to get your actual speed. 405x2=810mhz which is 10mhz over stock. this is mostly likely whats preventing you from obtaining a higher overclock.i highly doubt your low end budget memory likes to be overclocked much, if at all. this is why i highly suggest keeping it as close to stock as possible. the 420 fsb you're trying to run nets you a memory speed of 840 which is well out of the range of the rated speed for that memory. if you set your Northbridge/FSB strap to auto then you can easily change your ddr2 speed to a lower setting. then try to increase your fsb.

Tell me more about the voltage, what is all about ? how much should i raise it up? how should i test it? how much should i raise every time ? what are the risk of it? how can i relise i'm not above the voltage my comp support?

To manny questions xD .

Thanks to both of you :) .

when you're overclocking via the FSB you're effectively overclocking the whole system. almost all the voltages will need to be upped at some point except the memory voltage as we're not trying to overclock that just yet. i don't have much information about what your motherboard likes in terms of voltage. maybe someone else can step in and help you some with that. if not i'll try to do some research for you. i wouldn't go above 1.35v for the processor on the stock cooler. the northbridge is prolly good for 1.4v. FSB vtt could prolly handle 1.3v. the cpu pll shouldn't go over 1.45v. this is just a guideline though. like i said i don't know specifically what your board can and cannot handle. i believe all those volts to be safe though. certainly don't go over them without further knowledge.

Edited by battery

his memory is already running 810mhz. speed step does not keep your processor alive, it save on the power bill from not running needless cycles. internally there are gates inside a processor that control voltage. the more voltage you give it, the quicker these gates corrode away and thats what kills processors. heat is only a factor for 2 reasons. 1. there is a thermal limit that the material can't handle; 2. the material expands and contracts based on the temperature. thats why cooler temps yield a higher overclock. the silicon contracts more tightly around the gates and helps with voltage leakage.

i'm useing silicon compound (if i write it right), even i saw ppl puting only on the center of the micro, i cover whole micro with it (moreover now here in argentina is summer).

thats your current memory divider or ratio. memory can get a bit confusing but basically you take your fsb and multiply it by 2 to get your actual speed. 405x2=810mhz which is 10mhz over stock. this is mostly likely whats preventing you from obtaining a higher overclock.i highly doubt your low end budget memory likes to be overclocked much, if at all. this is why i highly suggest keeping it as close to stock as possible. the 420 fsb you're trying to run nets you a memory speed of 840 which is well out of the range of the rated speed for that memory. if you set your Northbridge/FSB strap to auto then you can easily change your ddr2 speed to a lower setting. then try to increase your fsb.

Ok the northbridge fsb strap was already on AUTO, so how much should i change the speed seting of the ddr2 ? i mean if i go down then 400.. if im already over the stock as u already told me so.... arf i dun get it :( . i far know lower is set better resault i may get but if i set lower setings it will go lower then 400, then if i put MORE fsb i will go even HIGHER then normal........ so?

change to: 4-5-5 ? kinda confused as u already told me is better let the default seting on the timeing, or maybe i didint get u right? srry.

when you're overclocking via the FSB you're effectively overclocking the whole system. almost all the voltages will need to be upped at some point except the memory voltage as we're not trying to overclock that just yet. i don't have much information about what your motherboard likes in terms of voltage. maybe someone else can step in and help you some with that. if not i'll try to do some research for you. i wouldn't go above 1.35v for the processor on the stock cooler. the northbridge is prolly good for 1.4v. FSB vtt could prolly handle 1.3v. the cpu pll shouldn't go over 1.45v. this is just a guideline though. like i said i don't know specifically what your board can and cannot handle. i believe all those volts to be safe though. certainly don't go over them without further knowledge.

Yeah at the end manny tell me the same thing.. to dun touch without know exactly what i should do with it.. so i never touch it, and even i try it to search for info about it i had no luck coz i rlly dunno where or how to look for it.. my mother is an asus p5kc, supously is nice for oc, actually wen i bought it i did it with that intention:

13-131-188-04.jpg

i will google my mother model and how much vol can take, maybe i find something.

And i dun wanna ask u to do that.. i mean dun go and spend ur time looking for this, u already helped me alot and i cant ask u to do that, so its cool, like i said i will make an new try with all the info you gived me and see what do i find.

As always, THANKs! even if i cant go higher then 405 i'm already happy with this resoult, my comp works much more better then before.

hey man no worries. helping people is what i do. sometimes i even have to ask for help and i'm a firm believer in karma.

like i said you should leave your timing at default

you should change your ddr2 speed to lower than 400. when you raise the fsb back up you'll bring it back to its stock speed.

you're running 1:1 right now as you've stated. if you change this to a 4:5 ratio then you'll be running 324x2=648. so if you can manage to get 500fsb then you'll be running your memory at 400x2=800mhz which is exactly where it should be. now you prolly wont get this right away or maybe even at all, but it would be your ultimate goal for best case scenario. there are many other dividers/ratios out there. you kinda have to play with it to find what will be best whenever you find you max fsb.

hey man no worries. helping people is what i do. sometimes i even have to ask for help and i'm a firm believer in karma.

like i said you should leave your timing at default

you should change your ddr2 speed to lower than 400. when you raise the fsb back up you'll bring it back to its stock speed.

you're running 1:1 right now as you've stated. if you change this to a 4:5 ratio then you'll be running 324x2=648. so if you can manage to get 500fsb then you'll be running your memory at 400x2=800mhz which is exactly where it should be. now you prolly wont get this right away or maybe even at all, but it would be your ultimate goal for best case scenario. there are many other dividers/ratios out there. you kinda have to play with it to find what will be best whenever you find you max fsb.

yesyesyes kinda get it now! i will go to the bios right now!

i will tell u soon i finish how it end :D

i have patience, and i like all this, is not like im geting tired of it.. not at all, all this computer thing i like it alot, already study all what hardware is, and now learning more about the bios its so cool :happy: .

ill go to the bios, Cya later ! :wave:

Google it the volt thing, all say what u already told me so, up to 1.3..1.4 max.

Also found this:

http://www.motherboardpro.com/ASUS-P5KC-Socket-LGA-775-Intel-P35-ATX-Asus-Motherboard-Retail-p-563.html

on the description about the OC, it saids: vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.0125V increment.

So should i try increment every 0.0125 right? i gonna keep googling it and see if i can find more about it.

ill be at the chat w8ing for ya.

Cya !

Edited by Gatsu

Google it the volt thing, all say what u already told me so, up to 1.3..1.4 max.

Also found this:

http://www.motherboardpro.com/ASUS-P5KC-Socket-LGA-775-Intel-P35-ATX-Asus-Motherboard-Retail-p-563.html

on the description about the OC, it saids: vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.0125V increment.

So should i try increment every 0.0125 right? i gonna keep googling it and see if i can find more about it.

ill be at the chat w8ing for ya.

Cya !

I still think it is a ram thin limitin you right now. somewhere in the standard ovecklocking settings in your bios (where you change the FSB probably) there will be a setting for DDR speed/ddr frequency or something like that. if as you said your frequency is 1:1 with your fsb it should say 667MHz right now (that would be the speed on default fsb). i don't think so but if you can lower this even further (to DDR 533 or even 400) you might be able to raise the fsb even further...