Zalman 128N SSD - The numbers are so low and I don't know why

wowdoggy954

WTF is a gigabyte controller

I have never heard of installing something 'prior' to installing your OS

I do know what you are talking about the AHCI download, but I dont recall having to install it before the OS

maybe before enabling it in bios

Wow - disable all power saving features in your BIOS and rerun the test and let me know the results.

I'm not sure what you mean by power saving features. I already had S.M.A.R.T. disabled. AMD C1E Support is disabled (by default). Virtualization is disabled (by default). AMD K8 Coolnquiet is now disabled. The seq. read speed of test size 1000 MB is 209. What exactly are the power saving features?

I do know what you are talking about the AHCI download, but I dont recall having to install it before the OS

On my motherboard are 10 sata ports. Six blue (the SB750 controller) which can be run as JBOD, RAID 1, and RAID 5. Four white which are split into controller 0 and 1. This is the GSATA2 controller (G for Gigabyte). Each controller (0,1) can be run as JBOD, RAID0, or RAID 1. This is the controller that I was originally trying to install Windows on in RAID0. You've never heard of a preinstall driver, eh? Ok, well when installing Windows (7) there is a screen on which you choose which drive to install to. After choosing a drive in the bottom left corner of the screen is a button called 'Load Driver'. When clicked, a choice to browse for the file is available. The preinstall driver has to be on either a floppy drive or a USB drive (I use a USB flash to load from). According to my motherboard manual, this preinstall driver must be installed before the OS as the drive might not be properly recognized during the Windows install. At Gigabyte's website there are three different preinstall drivers. One is for the SB750 controller when used in RAID mode. One is for the SB750 controller when used in AHCI mode. The last one is for the GSATA2 controller when used in AHCI/RAID mode. I haven't tried installing Windows without the preinstall driver, maybe that's what is wrong. I am going to try installing one more time, just to see.

Edited by wowdoggy954

Well I guess I don't need the preinstall driver because Windows works fine without it. So I installed Windows on a drive connected to the GSATA2 controller in AHCI without the preinstall driver and I still get the same low speed of 120 MB/s. I am starting to think that I have a motherboard with a flaky controller. I have sent an email to Gigabyte tech support inquiring about this. In the meantime I am using my SSD's on the SB750 controller where I get anywhere from 202 to 209 for a read speed.

From your mobo's manual:

After configuring the SATA ports, you are ready to proceed with the installation of the operating system.

You do not have to load the SATA controller driver during the installation process of the operating

system. Make sure to install the driver after the operating system is installed (using "Xpress Install" to

install all drivers required for your motherboard is recommended) for the SATA hard drives to work and

be detected properly.

I'm guessing you tried that, but incase you didnt :)

Also, from reading the specs on your board, it says the GSATAs are controlled by two separate chips in a pair. The first chip controls ports 0 and 1, and the second chip controls 2 and 3. Perhaps if you have both drives connected into 0 and 1, you could move them into 2 and 3 and see if one of those JM322 chips is just a dud. Hope that helped.

I'm not sure what you mean by power saving features. I already had S.M.A.R.T. disabled. AMD C1E Support is disabled (by default). Virtualization is disabled (by default). AMD K8 Coolnquiet is now disabled. The seq. read speed of test size 1000 MB is 209. What exactly are the power saving features?

Those were the ones I was referring to and CnQ specifically.

That practice goes back to the Windows XP and older chipset days. When SATA drives first came to market and you needed to preinstall the SATA/RAID driver by pressing F6 during the Windows installation. One of the very first things that would get installed were the controller drivers.

Windows 7 has native driver support for those functions so you can at least get a boot and installation done before updating the controller drivers if you so chose.

Message to ebarone: Yes, I did try the drives on the other GSATA controller and the speed was exactly the same. Thanks for the suggestion though. I am waiting for a response from Gigabyte tech support and I will post the results as soon as they arrive.