zackhaf

Will a new mobo help?

Hey, so currently i have a slightly modified HP a6700y desktop sysem (new case, new psu, xfx 5670, and more fans/ HDDs). since it started its life as an HP, i cant actually do anything in the bios but changing the boot order, which isnt much. Would a new mobo be a good idea for a fairly cheap upgrade? the processor is a phenom 9150e, with 4gb ddr2 RAM, neither of which i want to change, as i dont have lots of money. this is what i am looking at for a new one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265 . that one would allow me to OC the processor some, but would that be worth it? also, i could crossfire graphics and get those better for not too much money. what would i have concerns with if i were to swap the mobo? do i have to reinstall everything on my hard drives?

thanks in advance for my tons of questions.

i would look on the net to see what that cpu can clock to before buying a new board. it would suck to buy it and then only get 100mhz out of it. i never owned a phenom 1 before so i cant say much on the overclocking front of it. maybe look for a combo deal on newegg for a new motherboard and cpu. the athlon II x4 i would think is a better cpu then what you are running right now.

Not sure what your budget is, but it may not be as simple as just replacing the mobo.

As pointed out you may not be able to OC that processor all that much (Im not actually sure as I dont know that older phenom series) and to do so you will need a decent aftermarket CPU cooler that possibly wont fit in your case. the Memory you currtly have may also limit you, etc.

Personally I would approach this by replacing the Mobo and CPU and RAM and CPU cooler. (if can fit)

Maybe a

ASUS M4A87TD EVO ($90),

GSkill 1600MHz Ram ($33),

Athlon II x4 640 ($99) or a Phenon II x4 820 ($99).

CM hyper 212+ CPU Cooler ($29)

Edited by dihartnell

You did not say what windows you have but the version you are running is for that HP system.

It is probably going to give you problems with a new motherboard.

i have windows 7 pro, not the HP version that came with it, which was some vista crap. im trying to keep this as low cost as possible as i can, so if i was to change everything, id wait longer and save more money and just go balls to the wall and get top of the line stuff.

Ill have to look into the OC overhead of the 9150e, hopefully its not too bad. I know its rated for 65w as is if that might matter

so the phenom 9150e can clock up to 2.6, maybe even 3.0 Ghz. My main question is regarding my hard drives and OS, what will i have to do to get the mobo and everything else working properly?

so the phenom 9150e can clock up to 2.6, maybe even 3.0 Ghz. My main question is regarding my hard drives and OS, what will i have to do to get the mobo and everything else working properly?

You'll have to format the drive and reinstall a fresh OS............but honestly just save and go all out on a fresh build. You wouldn't want all these great components in a crappy case. Plus i bet the ventilation is horrible.

i already have a new case. has 2 120mm fans and one 80mm. its not top of the line, but its a decent one