Sign in to follow this  
alexonfyre

D*mn Temps

Okay, so here is how the TIM spread out on my first application, dot method. Looks to me like I didn't put nearly enough. I am going to try again with more, but awaiting advice from you guys.

EDIT: Reinstalled, pea method, larger amount, temps dropped about 1C, which is in the margin of error, so I assume I need to change my application method or there is a bigger problem.

post-74423-12947042852904_thumb.jpg

Edited by alexonfyre

So I tried doing the TIM in multiple ways, reseating the heatsink, added fans to the top of the case, my temps won't go below 70C. At this point, I worked the voltages down to 1.22v, which is the lowest stable voltage I can get, I am giving up on OCing past 3.5GHz until I can afford watercooling.

Thanks guys.

You should be able to run your i7 950 at 3.8Ghz with 1.1678v. Are your fans running at full speed? 70C is fine, though my i7 930 at 4.0GHz at 1.35v hit 76C max in Prime95 with my Noctua NH-D14. I'd assume that at 3.8GHz at 1.1678v, it should just about hit 70C, but more likely max out at 65C or something similar.

You should be able to run your i7 950 at 3.8Ghz with 1.1678v. Are your fans running at full speed? 70C is fine, though my i7 930 at 4.0GHz at 1.35v hit 76C max in Prime95 with my Noctua NH-D14. I'd assume that at 3.8GHz at 1.1678v, it should just about hit 70C, but more likely max out at 65C or something similar.

I can't keep stability under 1.22, any ideas why that might be? I have all other voltages at Default, Mem clocked at ~1254, RAM voltage at 1.65, QPI at 1.4 and PLL at 1.8

All chips are slightly different, so you might not get there, but at least the ASUS BIOS's are pretty similar:

post-70939-12949710261098_thumb.jpg

post-70939-12949710330076_thumb.jpg

post-70939-12949710399174_thumb.jpg

post-70939-12949710456119_thumb.jpg

Once you get it stable, you can lower or raise your Core Voltage, then keep bumping up your BCLK. I prefer my memory at higher speeds and tighter timings than a few extra MHz in CPU speed, so I run mine at 3.68MHz.

All chips are slightly different, so you might not get there, but at least the ASUS BIOS's are pretty similar:

[PICS]

Once you get it stable, you can lower or raise your Core Voltage, then keep bumping up your BCLK. I prefer my memory at higher speeds and tighter timings than a few extra MHz in CPU speed, so I run mine at 3.68MHz.

My stats are almost exactly what yours are, down to the RAM speed and timings, your QPI voltage and Core voltage are way lower than mine, and from what you have said, so are your temps. Weird... I feel like I could still bump up the BCLK a bit, but I don't like the idea of temps nearing 75.

My stats are almost exactly what yours are, down to the RAM speed and timings, your QPI voltage and Core voltage are way lower than mine, and from what you have said, so are your temps. Weird... I feel like I could still bump up the BCLK a bit, but I don't like the idea of temps nearing 75.

Not sure, maybe you got a not-so-great chip? :(

I'm not sure why yours heats up so much. 75C still isn't too bad with max load temps. That's usually the limit I aim for on the i7 line.

Sometimes the higher temps are caused because you have not tighten the screws on the heat-sink you should check if it is screwed tightly.