crossfire 6970 or SLI GTX 580? What's the verdict?

Ive been getting a thousand answers from a thousand fanboys and im torn between Crossfiring 2 6970s or SLIing 2 GTX 580s.....what would you do? Money is not that much of an issue cause i know that if i spend it on the 580s it will be well worth it because im paying for pure, raw power and performance, that will trump any game out there and bring them to its knees begging to stop,lol......but then of course people say "wait, NO, just get 2 6970s and overclock them and you'll be straight", but then alot people say the drivers for AMD are horrible. I dont know what to do. People say the scaling and drivers have improved with the 6xxx series, but what does improved mean?lol. Ive heard nothing but good things about nvidia's drivers, and know from experience that SLI scaling rock's the very foundation of the video card world. I wanna go to the moon with my video cards, i want the power in my house to surge, i want my lights to flicker everytime i turn on my computer (all hypothetically speaking of course,lol). Ive seem online benches between the 6970 CF and 580 SLI, and the CF 6970 is practically breathing right down the 580's neck in performance, just a mere 3-7 FPS difference in most games. Heat is of no concern to me, my case is cooled, power consumption is of no concern, have a 1220Watt PSU, dont care about noise, atleast i know the fans are working,lol.... i just care about performance. Overclock 2 6970s to match an SLI GTX 580 setup, or say the hell with it and get 2 580s?

Edited by E13thirty7

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 6970's dont overclock as well as the 580's so i see no point in that plus you are set for 2 years till you need an upgrade if you get the 580's

Edited by ddkshah

Silly question but it was asked so +++++ there :-) 580s by a long shot and they last u a . load longer than just 2 years lol

:withstupid: the 2 year comment was actually meant as 2 years till it would be a worthwhile upgrade for a new gpu with like 1000+ cores/shaders, 4gb memory, and dx12 :P

eh maybe 3 who knows :dunno:

Edited by ddkshah

:withstupid: the 2 year comment was actually meant as 2 years till it would be a worthwhile upgrade for a new gpu with like 1000+ cores/shaders, 4gb memory, and dx12 :P

eh maybe 3 who knows :dunno:

OP said money was no object, so yea the 580's! But, cmon crossfired 6970's will last a long time as well ;) Either choice will put you into good looking gaming for quite awhile!

i suspect 1 would be enough for all the gaming needs lol but if i may ask.. what kind of processor are you running? if it is anythiing less then the i7 980x then i guess you dont even need to sli the 580 because you wont see any perfomance increast way to big of a bottleneck if you ask me and then oc it? you mad? :P

i suspect 1 would be enough for all the gaming needs lol but if i may ask.. what kind of processor are you running? if it is anythiing less then the i7 980x then i guess you dont even need to sli the 580 because you wont see any perfomance increast way to big of a bottleneck if you ask me and then oc it? you mad? :P

Or...keep waiting on the Sandy Bridge releases ;) Wow, do those benches on the OCC review look promising for Intel this year :woo: