Fragsman

recovering GRUB again OMG

I re-installed windows

Now my grub dissapeared.

This happened me a lot of times before with older ubuntu versions like 5, 7, etc.

Now I have 10.04 and SOMEHOW I cant find the DVD. However I do have the 9.04 and I need to recover the GRUB

I've readed I have to do this

sudo grub

find /boot/grub/stage1

root (hdx,y)

setup (hd0)

exit

After I put "sudo grub" It just tell me it may take long time and after 30 minutes still nothing.. I dont know what is going on but for some reason I want to have a linux installed (just in case of eventualities of life because im programmer) but the reason is I do not use it often and I do not like it at all because it always gives mea lot of troubles. Sometimes I have to mess up with linux at work but if i cant manage I just give a call to support and they will get it fixed. Now this is super frustrating and I cant avoid hating more and more to linux since never had good experience in 4-5 years of low usage (but usage at least)..

I just want the GRUB back.. that is all

I also tried Grub Super Disk but I have no clue how to use it and the one who made it .... well explains everything like if everybody understands

Does "sudo grub" take 1 year to do anything? Is that normal?

In that case I could let it "doing something"..

Im loosing to much time with this and Im really tired.. I remember with old distros i solved problem instantly with auto-install of grub but i dont reembr how i did..

Thanks. HELP!!!

Oh LORD..

Tired of waiting 2 hours and see "sudo grub" doing nothing I did

sudo grub-install /dev/sda5

#there is located linux

but it also gives me the message

Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

HOW LONG IS "long time"???????????? I mean come on!!!!

I followed the instructions on

http://www.guia-ubuntu.org/index.php?title=Recuperar_GRUB

several of them but ALWAYS guys.. you know.. ALWAYS some linux user tells you to do 3-4 steps.. ALWAYS 1 of them fails and you can't just keep on. I had always problems with linux and Im really repetitive I know but It always is the same.

Seems the only option is re-install and forget what you have on it. There is no way to fix things with linux. The fastest options is to re-install or loose a week trying.

I GAVE UP. Linux is not good. I want it to have it for some reason, you never know. I had the 9.04.

Downloaded 10.04 and reinstalling

Edited by loco_frags

Linux is not good.

No. Just different. Just takes getting used to.

I want to tell you with all the respect of the world man. RESPECT.

But every sequence of command i've tried failed at least in 1 step.

Several ubuntus

Several years of frustration

Respect dude. :teehee:

I want to tell you with all the respect of the world man. RESPECT.

But every sequence of command i've tried failed at least in 1 step.

Several ubuntus

Several years of frustration

Respect dude. :teehee:

Try the KDE Desktop of PCLINUXOS i love it.

I physically keep my distro's separate disconnecting the "other" drive when installing it's respective OS, having one system go down only to block you from entering the other is a real PITA :yucky:

this is old but I will answer anyway..

i use all on 1 hdd so there is no way to disconnect nothing.

also what is PITA????

and if i had 2 different hdd then i think i wouldn't have this problem of course..

pd: Wow.. "El demonio de Tazmania" can be considered retro? :-p

My old Ubuntu install was a pain as well. I replaced my vid card, and linux would not boot. Wouldn't boot after putting the old card back in to remove the driver libraries...long story short, I didn't reinstall on the same drive again.

But when I initially installed it, I had to install Windows XP first, and then when I installed Ubuntu GRUB took over as the bootloader. Following that method worked for me, so if you're at a point where you don't have much on the Windows install and Linux is already hosed it couldn't hurt to just reinstall it all. Yes, it's tedious and shouldn't have to happen, but the world of Linux can be like that sometimes :(

i use all on 1 hdd so there is no way to disconnect nothing.

also what is PITA????

Pain In The Saddle (you get the picture) :lol:

if i had 2 different hdd then i think i wouldn't have this problem of course..

When I installed without physically disconnecting the drives I had this exact problem when my Linux distro HDD died... leaving my Windows drive intact but un-bootable :yucky: