Video Compression Formats

Fragsman

When I back from work I will make several test with different formats.

Is there any recommended software and/or codec to compress video?

I want to compress Full-HD videos. I want to reduce the size a bit without loosing HUGE quality.

For example I have a video of Fireworks and Burning Things (night) of 12 minutes and is about 1.5Gb (which is a lot)

The camcorder I use is a Sony hdr-xr150 wich outputs MT2S video format.

I Tried converting a video of 70mb to avi and the result was a video of 5mb but the quality was pretty bad..

I dont want to add more to bother with booring test. Just waiting for opinions. Or maybe give me basics tips for compression.

I do not want compress for the web. For web I know I have to sacrifice a lot the quality but I want somehting reasonable. 1.5Gb for 12 min I think is too much.

I want it to store it but reducing that huge size. Let't I would like reduce 50% at least.

Use Handbrake it is free and convert it to MP4-H264 format....

you can set the file size as custom and fill in the target size..

it compresses rather well I did a few 5gb DVDs down to 1.5gb with no noticeable loss in video quality

Sounds nice. I was using Format Factory. I'll try the one you said.

I compressed from Full HD video to Mp41280x720 H264 30fps rest default..

70mb video went to 19mb

1.6gb video went to 512mb

quality loss? Barely noticeable.. mainly a little bit of a real fluid fast image

I liked it!

Edited by loco_frags

well the fact that MT2S is Mpeg2 video im not surprised it's 1.5gb. is it 720 or 1080? honestly if you do a 3mbit rate in H.264 it should look alright and my guess around 300mb

its all about the bitrate and bits per pixel. usually .5-6 is the best quality versus size. i personally like VC-1 codex as it looks the best and about the same size as mp4 but takes a whole lot longer to encode (2-5x longer)

Edited by hornybluecow