Bryce from slc, UT frist computer!!!! woohoo!

Briggity

Alright so as the title says this is my first computer! I am 20 years old and I have had computers and laptops before, but this is my first computer I'm building. (kind of) My parents purchased this computer online and it was good, but not to what I wanted!! So i have used the website daily to learn about building the best computer I can.

My system came with a m4a785-m mother board, a phenom 9850 processor, 4gb of no name pc2-5300 ram and I think that is about it all stock mobo.

I decided at once i needed more!! That was also because the video out was messed up and could not connect to hdmi sucky!! I have done some shopping and bartering. The sytem I am going to install in two days when all my parts get her will consist of the following.

A amd phenom II 970 BE processor, cooled by a corsair H70, running a sapphire 1GB 5850 video card, and last but not least 8gb of pc2-8500 ocz platinum ram. Now This all together cost me (in order) $110, $60, $160, and $90.

All brand new that like i said i bartered for. I don't know what you guys think, but I feel this is a good start for some first time overclocking?? Any tips ideas or anything else I might need? Again I am from SLC, UT and my name is Bryce

Edited by Briggity

Hey Bryce. I would have dropped the Phenom 970BE for either a cheaper 955 then OC the difference or get a 1055T. H70 is awkward, good if you want to brag about water cooling but bad because a D-14 is better and cheaper. The RAM I would have gone with DDR3 but are you sticking with your old board?

The 5850 isn't a bad choice. I think it goes 5850 is better than a 6870, but 6870 CF'd is better than 5850 CF'd. So I would stick with the 5850 in that sense.

Overall it's actually quite a good build to be honest.

yes I'm using my current mobo which does not support ddr3...... and go to a phenom II 955 and oc the difference? i paid $110 for it! lol and the same with the 5850 i didnt want a massive video card just something to get gaming done...... and again i paiid $160.... did no one look at the prices i think i got a pretty good deal for the performance..... with the h70 its not something im going to brag about i wanted the h50 but they said it is no difference and again $60 for the h70 i think its better than the d-14 for $90.... i dont see how it is cheaper.... Thanks for your honest opinion though I am happy you gave it and I am glad you think it is a good machine thanks i just wanted to have a solid base to start for overclocking it

Edited by Briggity

Firstly welcome to OCC Bryce! :thumbsup: Great to see you join up.

Overall your build looks good and the prices you got for it were pretty good too IMO

The 5850 is a good card from personal experience. Mine runs games beautifully :D

thanks guys and thanks for the warm welcome!! I'm glad i joined and have done a lot of research on this so i feel good i did so :) im brand new like i said so what would be the best route of overclocking i have read up on this follow through from this guy idk much about it.... but it says perfect follow through for phenom overclocking