@ Bosco - OCC Computer Configurator?

El_Capitan

Something somewhat easy that could be done, and it would be pretty cool, would be to build a "Computer Configurator" application.

For instance, if someone is building a new system, it gives them all the components the system needs (similar to what you see when customizing a computer on Dell or whatever).

So you'll see categories like:

Operating System Price URL Promo Code

Motherboard Price URL Promo Code

CPU Price URL Promo Code

Graphics Card (1) Price URL Promo Code

Graphics Card (2) Price URL Promo Code

etc.

Now, the difference will be that the user types in what they want ("Not needed" is a null). However, what they type in goes to something like Google Shopping or something similar, which brings back the lowest cost with the URL. However, that can always be overwritten with something someone else finds cheaper.

Anyways, just something I thought about. I think I could probaly build something like that if I had time (which I might try). However, it would probably need a database back-end if you wanted drop-downs for each category.

:withstupid: .... although I may have worded it a little differently. :lol:

Tech is changing all the time and there's no guarantee that any site offering this sort of service may not be biased towards one supplier/manufacturer. I'm not saying OCC would be so underhand but there's more than one way for suppliers/manufacturers to extert a little pressure I would of thought?

Np, my ideas get shot down all the time, I'm used to it. All it takes is one stupid idea to make it big (adhesive paper you write on, "Post-its" was probably a stupid idea to begin with).

Just thought about it since new people come in all the time asking for system builds, I figure something similar to this would make things easier. As for suppliers/manufacturers, they should just lower prices to compete. :P

If it wasn't such a fast changing field it would be a great idea.

You gave me an idea though with the database idea though, couldn't we take something like Nyt Rya's temp comparison idea and create a cooler database, you input your intended cpu and hoped for overclock along with an average ambient temp and it tells you what hsf would give you the best temps. Every one could input their stock temps and various oc temps along with their cooler name and ambient temperature. It would be rather involved to code but could become very useful.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Maybe if it were possible for any (or a lot of) OCC members to update the configurator rather than just being run by admins of OCC. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would add stuff to it all the time.

Yeah otherwise it would be practically a full time job.

That would not work for motherboards. Unless you did it by chipset.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for OCC reviewers to add the products they review to a database. It would have the brand, model, approx. price, date of entry, OCC award status (Gold, Silver, Bronze, --) and a link to the review. If companies want more presence in the configurator than they should send more review samples ;)

The most recent entries go at the top. It would then double as a review archive.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Are you just looking for Good Prices?

Like for example www.pricewatch.com?

or are you talking about making a PC System on the website and then it giving you an estimate on what it would cost and or give you a link to buy the items?

While I do think the last question I asked would be a cool/great idea I can see a few problems right off the bat.

I think a lot of Programming would be involved to do something like this.

My Major concern would be Compatibility Issues.

I could see a user picking out a Socket A Motherboard and Getting an LGA 775 CPU lol.. (Thus requiring more Programming.)

I know there are far more compatibility issues but that was the easiest one I could think of off the top of my head..

I think what I would do if I wanted to help or add build options to the website would be to Dedicate a Page maybe call it "Builds of the Month"

You can have a "High, Med, Low - Budget Builds" on the page (I think a few people would have to collaborate and dedicate to building 3 builds a Month.)

The Users would/could also search for the best Prices (at the time of the build) and add links to the parts next to the parts in the build list.

I think if it were me I would set a Budget for the Low and Medium Builds.. Maybe low is 700 bucks and Medium is 1200/1400. High should have a limit as well but assuming your looking for a High Budget build you are not too worried about cost.

Thats just my two cents. Honestly I never thought it through it just rolled off the top of my head while replying to this.