First gaming build

the_lude

I was planning on getting windows 7.

Another question regarding the MOBOs listed above. It seems like the ASUS makes it a lot easier to overclock over the MSI.

Would I need to overclock the 965BE for just gaming or is it good enough at stock?

I wouldn't say easier. Both have a variety of software tools and hardware buttons etc to do it. Plenty of options with both. My experience is with the Asus board and it is a great board for overclocking. Reviws i have read of the MSI board say it is also a great board.

As previously stated good enough at stock, but lots of fun to overclock. Very additive. Get yourself a good aftermarket cooler (Cm hyper 212Plus is inexpensive and good) and have fun.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the ASUS board at an online retailer for $154 USD. It's unfortunate that I can't pick it up in the store. As I would need to pay for shipping and CA state tax.

I'll look around for the 6870.

I'm leaning toward the ASUS mobo, but I'll have to learn to the whole overclocking process as this entire build and system setup is new to me.

You can't got wrong with either ASUS or MSI mobo's. I have both, but personally I like ASUS better! Wide open BIOS ;)

Also, if you are in college or have friends or fam in college, have them check the bookstore for Window 7 Ultimate 64bit! I got mine for $25 ;)

Edited by SpeedwayNative

I've found the ASUS mobo at a local computer shop. $145, so I'll be picking that up in the near future.

Resolution at 1280 x 1024 or higher

I haven't decided on a new monitor yet. I'm currently using a 22" LCD tv as my screen for now.

Case = NZXT Phantom

damn, that's a nice case. thanks for the heads up. I haven't received the thermaltake case yet. I will on thursday, so I'll have to check the return policy if want to pick up that nzxt case.

damn, that's a nice case. thanks for the heads up. I haven't received the thermaltake case yet. I will on thursday, so I'll have to check the return policy if want to pick up that nzxt case.

Other cases to consider around the same price point:

Antec 1200

Cooler Master HAF932

Corsair 600T

Everything else about the build looks good, XFX isn't bad, but the industry leaders in power supplies are Corsair, Seasonic and Antec. As important as that component is, I would try to roll with one of those.

EDIT: Just learned that the XFX Black is just a neon green version of the Seasonic M12D, which is a great PSU, so if you like the XFX, go for it.

Edited by alexonfyre

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Haven't posted in awhile. Been busy with other things.

I was able to sell my thermaltake case. Ended up buying the NZXT phantom in white. It's an awesome case.

Hopefully this weekend I can square away my mobo and gpu.

I just wished I could find a place in San Diego that sold XFX power supplies.

again, thanks for everyones help. for a first time builder, a lot of these parts can be overwhelming.

Hi Guys.

Just wanted to get some opinions on a GPU.

I can get the XFX 5870 for abtou $240USD or the XFX 6950 for $289USD. Price is important to me as I want to save some money. However if I can get a lot more for the 6950 then it'll be worth it in the long run.