First gaming build

the_lude

Hi Guys,

I am actually new to building a PC as I am more familiar with MACS.

Anyways, I am building a PC purely for gaming, mainly for starcraft 2.

I was giving some advice by my cousin for parts to use for the build and I would like some feedback.

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 965 BE (already purchased, as I was able to buy it for 129)

MOBO: MSI 890FXA

Graphics card: XFX 5870 HD

Memory: He had mentioned to get 2 x 2GB (4gb to run it in dual channel), but I was wondering if I can max it out for more memory

He has also purchased a Thermaltake FRIO for me to start off my building.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like the system to be able to run SC2 on it's highest settings or at least close to there without any real issues.

THANKS!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I am actually new to building a PC as I am more familiar with MACS.

Anyways, I am building a PC purely for gaming, mainly for starcraft 2.

I was giving some advice by my cousin for parts to use for the build and I would like some feedback.

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 965 BE (already purchased, as I was able to buy it for 129)

MOBO: MSI 890FXA

Graphics card: XFX 5870 HD

Memory: He had mentioned to get 2 x 2GB (4gb to run it in dual channel), but I was wondering if I can max it out for more memory

He has also purchased a Thermaltake FRIO for me to start off my building.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like the system to be able to run SC2 on it's highest settings or at least close to there without any real issues.

THANKS!

Notihing wrong with your parts selection. No need to get more than 4GB RAM if all this is for is gaming. Im running SC2 on my core2duo with a 5870 at pretty much max everything. I personally would go for a 6950 now as is cheaper than 5870 and a bit quicker.

Thoroughly recomend gettng a decent 24" 1920x1200 LCD. As an alternative mobo the Asus M4A89td Pro/USB3 is also very good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150518

how's that?

I purchased the Thermaltake A90 case.

My cousin recommended the xfx black edtion 750w psu, but if you believe a 650w will do. I will take a look.

As for the MOBO.

Is there a substantial difference between the Asus M4A89td Pro/USB3 and the MSI 890fxa?

thanks again. all of you are a lot of help.

the 6950 is good

i big psu like a 750 or 800 w is god if you want to crosfire in the future and if you think to oc your cpu and gpu

the msi is a god mobo , the only diference is the brand o think

how's that?

My cousin recommended the xfx black edtion 750w psu, but if you believe a 650w will do. I will take a look.

As for the MOBO.

Is there a substantial difference between the Asus M4A89td Pro/USB3 and the MSI 890fxa?

No real diff between the two mobos. Both excellent. grab whichever is available and cheaper.

What type of operating system do you have/are going to get? Because if you want to use more than 4 gig of RAM you need a 64 bit version OS

What type of operating system do you have/are going to get? Because if you want to use more than 4 gig of RAM you need a 64 bit version OS

I was planning on getting windows 7.

Another question regarding the MOBOs listed above. It seems like the ASUS makes it a lot easier to overclock over the MSI.

Would I need to overclock the 965BE for just gaming or is it good enough at stock?

Get the 750w or an 800w for best power efficiency. A 650w is a bit too small - it will run it but it wont do it as efficiently as the higher wattage ones. The XFX Black Edition sounds like a good choice to me as it has great performance (heres a good review on it).

how's that?

My cousin recommended the xfx black edtion 750w psu, but if you believe a 650w will do. I will take a look

That case apparently is crap from what i heard, its plastic and bad airflow, not to mention bad cable management.

I have the 750w and i would tell you to buy it. its definitely worth it, its silent and doesnt produce heat at all.

as for the gpu, get a 6870. you wont notice any difference between a 5870 and it.