Prices of GTX 580 might be going down.

El_Capitan

I think nvidia is not going to release a two gf110. They have the fastest single card. AMD has to produce a 6990 to trump nvidia. Simply speculating.

With new component releases the prices are always lower than the previous though. Look at hdd capacity or ram for example.

The manufacturers are simply making business. The market for the fastest card is something they want a percentage of.

With the range of card produced the associated sale prices just don't warrant a place for a gf110. That kind of business is too small. Therefore, the price adjustments (where does the new card fit in to the market).

they have the fasted single GPU. 2nd fasted Card right behind the 5970 :P

Edited by ShallowBay

I dont think there will be a dual GTX580 or dual HD6970 on one pcb. Its just way too hot . The 6970 is an 11 inch card with a massive vapour chamber and it barely keeps one gpu cool so how the hell will they keep two flagship gpu's cool on one pcb . Same with the GTX580 .

My theory is that they changed the naming scheme of the 6700 series to the 6800 series so they could use two 6870 gpu's on one pcb and call it a 6990 while it doesnt look like they put two 6770 gpu's on on pcb.

But they could use two 6970's or 580's if they use a lot of power limiting hard/software and limit heat and power consumption

I dont think there will be a dual GTX580 or dual HD6970 on one pcb. Its just way too hot . The 6970 is an 11 inch card with a massive vapour chamber and it barely keeps one gpu cool so how the hell will they keep two flagship gpu's cool on one pcb . Same with the GTX580 .

My theory is that they changed the naming scheme of the 6700 series to the 6800 series so they could use two 6870 gpu's on one pcb and call it a 6990 while it doesnt look like they put two 6770 gpu's on on pcb.

But they could use two 6970's or 580's if they use a lot of power limiting hard/software and limit heat and power consumption

We will see very soon! 6990 scheduled for Jan/Q1, but of course that couldn't possibly be pushed back ;)

Edited by SpeedwayNative