Sign in to follow this  
sack_patrol

Q40 vs SR80i vs SR125i

I've chosen 3 pair of headphones: M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Grado SR80i and Grado SR125i. I will probably end up buying one of them, but I'm not sure which. More particularly, how does the Q40 do compared to the SR80i and 125i. I've heard that Grado's headphones are nearly perfect and are as good as headphones can possibly get, but the Q40 don't look bad either. I can't tell though cuz I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to sound. I need a high quality headset with a good price to quality ratio, not just high quality. I'll be using it for gaming, music and movies. Concerning the music part, I listen to a lot of electronic music but also other genres like rock and just about anything else, but mostly electronic (dubstep).

Usually close to the 100 point people will tell you to go for a modded HD555 or AD700s. Depends on how much you're willing to spend tbh because with highend phones you might not notice the quality difference from slightly lower models unless you have a trained ear for it. IF you're worried about price/quality then I'd say go for the SR80i, they go for around 100 and they're supposed to be excellent. Don't own them myself though.

Usually close to the 100 point people will tell you to go for a modded HD555 or AD700s. Depends on how much you're willing to spend tbh because with highend phones you might not notice the quality difference from slightly lower models unless you have a trained ear for it. IF you're worried about price/quality then I'd say go for the SR80i, they go for around 100 and they're supposed to be excellent. Don't own them myself though.

Yea, the SR80i seemed like the best choice, as for the cash, I try not to go higher than 200$. Today I've been readong about the Shure SRH480, and it seems that these cans are overall better than the Q40 which I found out is also super fragile and is plagued by a certain cable problem that makes buying a replacement 3.5m male to male cable a necessity.

Right now I'm thinking of getting the Shure SRH480, though the SR80i isn't out of the question. I just haven't been able to get any actual input from anyone that could compare the two models for me so that I can make up my mind. The only thing I know is that people tend to compare the SRH480 with the Grado SR325is which costs twice as much. From that I can conclude that Shure's headphones are pretty good, along with all the reviews I've been reading from people that own them and understand sound in general better than me.

I'm also still in the dark concerning the SR80i's handling of games and beats like dubstep whichsounds better with more bassy headphones. (The SRH480 aren't super bassy either, but as I said, I'm not sure. Not to mention that since I'm upgrading a pair of Yamaha RH-5Ma, I will probably still get more bass than I currently do. At that point I don't there are any 'good' or 'bad' headphones. It's a matter of what the customer is looking for.)

Edited by sack_patrol