Building A Computer, Worth It?

I am pretty much a newbie to the whole computer scene so i dont know much. I would think that with 1500-1600 the best thing i could do is make my own computer, but i dont know much.

Could i build one with some help from you guys or do i need the expertise myself. I do have one friend that could help too. Or is building my own not even worth it.

The cheapest computer c an find with the specs i want (around 3.2 Ghz HT P4, 512-1GB ram, 80-120 GB hd, 256 MB ATI graphics card) is a Compaq or that Galaxy i posted it deal or rotten apple. If its relitively easy to build my own do you have suggestions. Thats it for now, thanks in advance.

It is definately worth building your own, i have a friend down in Baltimore and she wants to buy a :wacko: sony Vaio i told her even if you buy parts separately and have someone (a technician) build it for you you'll have a far better machine and at a ton less of money.

But dont take my word for it the gus here will tell you i'm shure what you can get for $1600 :P

How bout this, almost everything you need at half the price ;)

You're missing the cables and a stup. floppy :lol:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...u=S450-4111%20R

Edited by kobalt

bah! stay away from alienware, the systems withing ur price range come equipped with dinky graphics cards that make me cringe. Build your own. The system in my sig is my first build. It was relatively easy. My advice to you is to READ! do alot of research before you buy key parts or you will regret it.

I have the motherboard that kit comes with and it is the worst motherboard i have ever used. You have to use PC2700 or PC3200 with a 333MHz FSB CPU (you can't set a divider). It doesn't overclock very well at all, and the drivers that they provide for the network adapter did not work properly. I wish I had never bought it.

hey, I just got my first build up and running about a month ago. I bought components a little at a time, as I could afford it. And I did learn a lot. The people on this forum where great. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed putting together my new computer. Read your reviews, take your time, ask questions. Hell dude, I'm excited for you. Don't fall for the Dell, Compac, HP, and all them other manufacters. You build it and put Your Name on it. You can do it!

Ack, stay away from Tigerdirect...

I'd suggest one of two methods

a) Find a mentor who is good at building systems for the manufacturer you've chosen, in this case Intel. There are many intel enthusiasts on this board despite the prevalence of AMD in the sigs. Ask that person what to buy and use their preferences since you have none of your own

B) Start reading signatures. Write down some of the hardware that seems prevalent. Start reading reviews. Tomshardware.com anandtech.com this site and hardOCP are good places to start.

When you think you have a nice setup put together on paper. Price it at www.newegg.com - You can save a few bucks if you buy each part from a different vendor on pricewatch.com but I recommend against it.

Once you have a nice setup written down and its within your price range, solicit the opinions of people here.

g'luck