AddictedGamer93

Upgrade Dilemma

I originally was planning to get a gtx 570 to replace my 5770's. I began to worry about a cpu bottleneck, so I ran some tests and found that during Crysis, my cpu usage is almost 100%. I then went and hooked my pc up the the tv at 1920 x 1080, and my cpu usage dropped to around 50% with the same performance. There is obviously a significant cpu bottleneck at my monitors res (1600 x 900), and I doubt there will be much benefit to a 570 when im already maxing out my cpu. Ive thought about getting a new monitor, or a new cpu to alleviate the bottleneck, I could get both, but im not sure what to do.

Edited by AddictedGamer93

I originally was planning to get a gtx 570 to replace my 5770's. I began to worry about a cpu bottleneck, so I ran some tests and found that during Crysis, my cpu usage is almost 100%. I then went and hooked my pc up the the tv at 1920 x 1080, and my cpu usage dropped to around 50% with the same performance. There is obviously a significant cpu bottleneck at my monitors res (1600 x 900), and I doubt there will be much benefit to a 570 when im already maxing out my cpu. Ive thought about getting a new monitor, or a new cpu to alleviate the bottleneck, I could get both, but im not sure what to do.

I dont know how you can stand gaming at so low a resolution. Get a decent 24" 1920x1200 monitor and see how you go. Then if you need more graphics power go for a CPU or GPU upgrade.

I dont know how you can stand gaming at so low a resolution. Get a decent 24" 1920x1200 monitor and see how you go. Then if you need more graphics power go for a CPU or GPU upgrade.

I game on a 20" monitor at that res, and I like it fine. Of course, I used to game on my 15.6" laptop :whistling:

I game on a 20" monitor at that res, and I like it fine. Of course, I used to game on my 15.6" laptop :whistling:

But thats not really gaming bliss is it? :P I agree with dihartnell, upgrade to at least a 23" 1920x1080 screen (bigger if possible) and then worry about a video card/CPU upgrade.

But thats not really gaming bliss is it? :P I agree with dihartnell, upgrade to at least a 23" 1920x1080 screen (bigger if possible) and then worry about a video card/CPU upgrade.

Depends on how you do it.

I spent all of 2009 gaming on a Samsung 2233RZ 1680 X 1050 monitor in 3d while my Dell 3007WFP-HC 25 X 16 monitor sat next to it on my desk unplugged. In 2010 I bought two more 16X10 2233RZs, not another 3007.

I also had a NEC 24" 19 X12 panel on the pc in my guest bedroom, and I chose the 16 X 10 over that as well. I used to think size and resolution trumps all, like when I paid $1100 for the 3007, but things have changed in the gaming monitor landscape.

A person also needs to consider 120Hz refresh and 3d capability when buying a panel. Even without the 3d the 120Hz is very nice if you want to dump vsynch and triple buffering.

NVIDIA Focus Group Member

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to

facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

That ASUS is acceptable. It'll serve you well for games, I know several people running ASUS monitors and they love them.

Thats a good choice. Samsung makes quality monitors, one of the better ones to get imo. Some of the stands can be a bit wobbly though, so just be careful with it.