victorribera

Wich gpu should i buy?

Well , im building a new gaming pc and i was wondering if u can help me chosing the gpu . This are my options:

single gtx580 -500 $

single ftx 570 - 350$

single hd 6970- 320$

2x hd 6870 - 260 (each)$

2x gtx 470 - 260 (each)$

the question is , wich option should i pick? I've heard taht sli works beter then cf and also some people recomended me to buy the 580 even having elss performance than 2x gtx 470 in sli , and i heard too that says taht ati 6000 series drivers are fked up , so gimme your opinion pls ^ ^

Edited by victorribera

Two MSI Hawk GTX 460 1GB's in SLI for $360 total plus two $20 MIR's. Overclock both in SLI to 950/1900/2200, gg.

+1

get the cheapest @most compatible. > gtx 460 X 1. Use it to play games ( not benchmarks) wait for the REAL next gen games and videocards ( [email protected] next console gen)

Two MSI Hawk GTX 460 1GB's in SLI for $360 total plus two $20 MIR's. Overclock both in SLI to 950/1900/2200, gg.

This may not be the most futureproof option but it is definitely the best bang for your buck. If you can foot the bill, I would go for the GTX 580 and then SLI it in the future to stay ahead of the competition if need be :thumbsup:

Im faced with the same upgrade paths , Im going for a GTX580 so I get great performance without the multi-gpu stuttering

This may not be the most futureproof option but it is definitely the best bang for your buck. If you can foot the bill, I would go for the GTX 580 and then SLI it in the future to stay ahead of the competition if need be :thumbsup:

All this "futureproof" bull crap is really starting to annoy me.

Here's a MSI GTX 580 overclocked to 900/1800/4200 showing itself "barely" beating itself against two Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB's in SLI factory overclocked at 715/1430/3600.

1, Good GTX 460 1GB cards can be overclocked up to 1GHZ, but most common overclocks have been around 900MHz - 950MHz. I'm betting the super overclocked GTX 460 1GB's in SLI would just edge out the MSI overclocked GTX 580.

2. If by futureproofing you mean the GTX 580 is going to need another in SLI within a year, that's $500 now, and $450 in a year (just look at current GTX 480 prices), that's just rediculous. Futureproofing these days is an expensive concept, and frankly, dumb if you don't have the money. See #3.

3. Price structures of high-end cards aren't justified, and are never the best in price/performance. Besides, there isn't a game that my two GTX 460 1GB's OC in SLI can't handle at 1920 x 1200. If there is, then the GTX 580 won't, either. The misconception is that you'll save money by getting another card to SLI/Crossfire later down the road. WRONG! Prices for high-end cards don't go down. Just look at the prices for the GTX 480, they're still $400 - $500. People who are "futureproofing" their existing GTX 480's aren't getting another GTX 480 to SLI or tri-SLI, they're selling them for $360 and buying GTX 580's. That's actually the better thing to do.

"Futureproofing" is itself, a dead end with the implementation of high-end and mid-ranged cards. You buy the card or cards now, and worry about upgrading to a new set later. At the rate new CPU's and GPU's come out, every two years there's something new, so if you're getting another of the same card 1-2 years down the road, you're just wasting money. For instance, you don't see people getting another GTX 295 to SLI with their current GTX 295, do you? And that card came out less than 2 years ago!

A highly overclocked HD5970 that thrashes two GTX460's (check duel thread) barely beats the GTX580 . Basically go with whats cheaper if you wanna save

@Capi : I love how you only show Vantage :lol:Heres the performance comparison

Edited by Nyt Ryda

A highly overclocked HD5970 that thrashes two GTX460's (check duel thread) barely beats the GTX580 . Basically go with whats cheaper if you wanna save

But those were benchmarks, and your HD5970 even beats the GTX 580 in those. However, in game FPS, the GTX 580 wins, and in reviews, the dual GTX 460 1GB's OC in SLI compete with the GTX 580.

@Capi : I love how you only show Vantage :lol:Heres the performance comparison

That's a total subjective score. Just look at each game's FPS at the game resolution you'll be playing at throughout that review (I'm not going to send a link to each individual page of that review, I expect people to read through the whole thing). Also note that the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC in SLI is a factory overclock at a meager 715/1430/3600 (by going to the other link). My Cyclone's are at 895/2140/3580, and I'm sure the Hawk's and ASUS TOP's can overclock higher than mine.

Lol @ 460 sli beating 580

That sounds like a duel challenge!! :-) I doubt ud have a chance seeing u couldnt even beat nyt at all.. Didn't even come close..

580 is easily ur most expensive but also ur best bet.. U won't "need" the upgrade in a year.. U won't "need" to upgrade for a fee years easily.. If a 8800gtx can last 3-4 years, the 580 will too.. Easily.

Edited by mattyamdfanboi

Lol @ 460 sli beating 580

That sounds like a duel challenge!! :-) I doubt ud have a chance seeing u couldnt even beat nyt at all.. Didn't even come close..

580 is easily ur most expensive but also ur best bet.. U won't "need" the upgrade in a year.. U won't "need" to upgrade for a fee years easily.. If a 8800gtx can last 3-4 years, the 580 will too.. Easily.

A challenge it is! The duels will be at 1920 x 1080 (unless you have 1920 x 1200, the higher, the better). We'll use most of the same games and settings as in the Tweaktown review. I want to see how accurate those tests are.

Resident Evil 5 - High Image Preset with Average FPS

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.K. - Very High Image Settings with Average FPS

Mafia 2 - Very High Image Preset with Average FPS

Lost Planet 2 Test A Scene 1 - Very High Image Preset with Average FPS

Alien vs. Predator - Very High Image Preset with Average FPS

Street Fighter IV - Very High Image Preset with Average FPS

Far Cry 2 - Very High Image Settings with Minimum and Average FPS

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Very High Image Setting with PshyX Off with Minimum and Average FPS

Then with High Quality AA and AF settings:

Mafia 2 Very High Image Settings with Anti-Aliasing ON and AF x16

Aliens vs. Predator Very High Image Settings with Anti-Aliasing x4

Far Cry 2 Very High Image Settings with Anti-Aliasing x8

Then some PhsyX tests:

Mafia 2 with Average FPS

Batman: Arkham Asylum with Minimum and Average FPS