How many pixels?

Dariuas

So, I am trying to do a group of photos (4 to be exact) and fit them on a canvas, and then print them out to put in a frame for

the other half for the holidays. The frame is 8x7

What info do I need to size the photos correctly so they don't look like butt?

I believe what Ivy is meaning is when you change the size of the picture make sure its aspect ratio stays the same. As in when you shrink or enlarge it make sure you it is done evenly as to not compress or stretch any of it.

Such as if you go from 800x600 to 400x300 the photo will maintain its aspect ratio of 4/3

If you go from 800x600 to 350x300 then you will have a 6/5 ratio which will make the photo look funny.

I'm not sure what resolution or pixel count you will need but It will all depend on the size of the photos. the smaller they are the less you will need. opposite for the larger photos, good luck and hope the picture turns out great. :D

When you go to resize the image size in Photoshop, you have the option to lock one of the ratios. In fact, it is enabled by default (only when you go under Image Size though) so when you go from a picture that is say, 4048x2456 or something massive like that, you will be able to resize it down to something small while maintaining the aspect of it like boinker said.

Typically speaking, print media = 300 dpi.

Definitely. If you want this to be a good looking high quality pic.

What resolution were the pics taken in? Mega pixels anything? We really need more info if you want exact measurements.

an 8x7 print @ 300dpi is going to be W:2400 x H:2100 with each photo being 600x525 or 600 dpi W:4800 x H:4200 (much better i think) 1200x1050 per image

but your going to lose the 4x3 ratio because it started as 8x7 so you either going to have to have a blank spot (like an inch) or make your print within the 4:3 ratio.

the really simple way of doing all of this is if you are scanning the photos make sure its at 600dpi otherwise if you shot it with a camera just make a new file in Photoshop at 8x7 inchs with 600 dpi and than bring each file in and scale it down to fit.

i couldnt upload the good versions because its 13mb jpeg but you get the point either your top and bottom is white or you cut an inch off to make it 4:3ratio

Edited by hornybluecow