MercuryDoun

GTX580 or HD 6970??

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should i go with?

• The 6970 with performance near the GTX580 and cheaper to boot, but So loud it hurts?
    • The more expensive but higher performance GTX 580?
    • Or just sit back and wait to see what the GTX595/HD6990 have to offer.

wont they need to change the cable to the motherboard for THAT much power though?? I doubt ye elderly 24pin would like that too much :whistling:

On my RIII Extreme I have an optional 4 pin molex connector on my mobo above the 1st PCEi slot to supply more power to the gpu. I haven't had a need so far. But, seems like the manufacturers are already taking steps to send more power to the PCIe slot :)

yay for more power :) imagine they could fit 3 gpus on 1 board! and provide enough power for it!

*drools*

It would be pretty neat to just have one wide power connector into the motherboard and have it send power to anything it that needs it

It would be pretty neat to just have one wide power connector into the motherboard and have it send power to anything it that needs it

Definately , then cable-management will be much easier :lol:

Definately , then cable-management will be much easier :lol:

Integrate PSU and motherboard, and have optical drives and harddrives slide into their respective places like an enclosure. Same with videocard.

More compact, FAR less cables (pretty much just fan power cables)

Integrate PSU and motherboard, and have optical drives and harddrives slide into their respective places like an enclosure. Same with videocard.

More compact, FAR less cables (pretty much just fan power cables)

So, basically a modular console? :teehee:

wont they need to change the cable to the motherboard for THAT much power though?? I doubt ye elderly 24pin would like that too much :whistling:

They added the 8-pin cpu power for that already. so we really have a hidden 4 pin on the cars at all time :yucky:

the 6000 series IS a refresh part... and that 15-20% performance is the exact same performance increase nvidia dug up with the refresh of the 480 and its GF100 core... into the 580 and its GF110 core... i dont see how this is relevant... 15-20% performance increase with a core architecture redesign is exactly what id expect. Now to be fair, nVidia refresh was to address power consumption and temps, But that doesnt change that they also released the card with the FULL Fermi core in effect unlike the 480, to gain that 15-20% performance increase. If you look at it that way, the AMD's redesign was actually more effective than nVidia's!! GF100 core = like 10 months old... the old 5000 series core = like 18-20 months old... So im still yet again impressed with the work that AMD did on this.

No, the 6970 Cayman is not a refresh, it's AMD's next gen part. The shaders have been redesigned from a VLIW5 design (one complex, 4simple) to a VLIW4 (4 equal) design.

If 15-20% from a core redesign is "exactly what you would expect" from a core redesign, can you name one other time so very little has been gained from a GPU core redesign?

Here are NVIDIA's core redesigns:

FX5800>6800>7800>8800>GTX280>GTX480

Here are ATi's core redesigns:

9700>X800>X1900>2900XT>3800>4800>6970

Every one of them for NVIDIA is a 50% + performance gain over the generation before. ATi faceplanted with the 2900 and 3800, but they usually try to come up with 50% as well.

The 6970 is another faceplant- barely faster than what it replaced.

NVIDIA Focus Group Member

NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to

facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

The 6970 is another faceplant- barely faster than what it replaced.

The core design may be a faceplant , but the 6970 card is still great performance and cheap

Edited by Nyt Ryda