GTX580 or HD 6970??

MercuryDoun

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should i go with?

• The 6970 with performance near the GTX580 and cheaper to boot, but So loud it hurts?
    • The more expensive but higher performance GTX 580?
    • Or just sit back and wait to see what the GTX595/HD6990 have to offer.

The most power that can be supplied through a pci express x16 slot is 75 watts of power....... Most high performance video cards pull well over that usually around 300 plus watts under full load so like I said before most of the power is supplied through the connectors on the card.....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the proof is in the benchmark score and ill go look at the mobo now.. brb

GA-M61PM-S2

thats where i had to run my 480gtx as a trail to see if my mobo was the problem or the vid card.. the original mobo was a GA-890GPA-UD3

thats where my xfire lived.. again.. in the benchmark section.. if u find a 5850 thats faster.. be my guest.. till then.. stfu

also.. old school gpus or not, nothing has really surpassed the x8 abilities yet.. i reckon even my 580's scores wouldnt change too much.. like i said and u seem to not be able to read.. its been proven already that x8 and x16 differences are minimal..

heres ur "multi gpu setup" proof that ur wrong

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x8x8/

like i said.. ive tried this myself.. and gotten the same results... x8 vs x16 = . all right now.. even with our current crop of gpus

matt I was saying that you didn't get your 5850 scores on that GA-M61PM-S2 board, not that your 5850's weren't the fastest on the Furmark thread! You did not even get what I was saying, instead you though I was challenging your 5850 scores!

But, no matter what, don't ever tell me to "stfu" again! Especially when you were making that comment because you couldn't even figure out what I was saying! It isn't my fault you were lost, but don't tell me or anyone else on this forum for that matter to "stfu" I'm sure there are even some forum rules that say something about this!

No matter what you think about a PCIe 3.0 slot, I think time will show that when dealing with mulitple gpus (on the same card or not) especially with the powerful high end cards today we will see performance gains. Like it has already been said, they will offer more power at the slot, which will help as well! Once PCIe 3.0 mobo's and cards hit the market, I will be upgrading! You do whatever you want.

last i checked the pcie slot provides 150watt max.. not 75watt.. the connectors apparently supply 75watt at 6pin and 150watt?? at 8 pin.. no idea how that works coz the 8 pin adds 2 grounds to the equation.. and no extra powers.. and it was late lastnite when i said stfu and im suprised i was even concious enough to even read anything u remotely said hahahah\

no the scores that my 5850s scored werent on the crappy mobo, the 480 scored on that.. the 5850s ran on 2 x8 slots with no performance loss.. nothing we have atm will surpass the x16 slot yet, but as mattwalter85 said, it is possible that the dual gpus of this current gen will.. and id have to agree with that

im pretty sure that an oc'd 580 will be getting close to the limits of the bandwidth, and dual gpus im sure wil definately.. atleast i hope it does so we can has faster slots and stupid fast video cards!!!

but then we run into power problems lol we'll have to have like 3 connectors to run them!

Just curious, what are you thinking the results would be with 2 cards in Xfire/SLI on a PCIe 1.0 board? The same .1%? lol Also, did you happen to take any SS of these score with cpuz open and on the mainboard tab? You just had your 480 not long ago, how can you not remember the board?

I cant remember who did it but there was a post a month or two back that demonstrated PCI x16, x8, x4 and maybe x1 slots impact on GPU performance. I think the results showed less than 1% diff (was in the margin of error) in dropping to x8 and less than 5% dropping to x4 so I agree with Matty that the slot is not the biggest contributer to overall performance. Which is good because it means you can upgrade your GPU to something more modern without thinking about upgrading everything else and still see some decent benefit from it.

I cant remember who did it but there was a post a month or two back that demonstrated PCI x16, x8, x4 and maybe x1 slots impact on GPU performance. I think the results showed less than 1% diff (was in the margin of error) in dropping to x8 and less than 5% dropping to x4 so I agree with Matty that the slot is not the biggest contributer to overall performance. Which is good because it means you can upgrade your GPU to something more modern without thinking about upgrading everything else and still see some decent benefit from it.

Yea, I have explained this same thing on this thread earlier this week! My original point was that when 3.0 comes out, it will be backwards compatible for the current gen cards. I said this because another member was talking about waiting to upgrade until x32 slots are out, and I was saying it wouldn't matter. Additionally, my point was about multi-gpu setups with higher end cards benefitting from the increased bandwidth. But, I guess all of my points were lost in translation :whistling:

What were you saying Speedway?

:P

Capi, coming in with the jokes :) I'm saying that when I get my 6990, I would love to put it into a new mobo with PCIe 3.0 ;)

Not to mention the point mattwalter makes above and the fact that newer PCIe tech will also supply more power from the slot to the cards! Which on higher end cards will help as well. matty, PCIe 1.0 slots supplied 75W, you are right the current 2.0 slots are at 150W, 3.0 should be more. So we might not have to add a "3rd" connector, depending on the power from the slot on the 3.0 tech!

Edited by SpeedwayNative

I hope it's twice again with 300watt for a total of 450... Then we could have unrestricted dual gpu setups that I'm so sure would surpass x16 bandwidths... Imagine that... Full fledged twin 580 gpus on 1 card :teehee:

wont they need to change the cable to the motherboard for THAT much power though?? I doubt ye elderly 24pin would like that too much :whistling:

ur probably right.. but they could just add like connectors to the mobo so u could plug the extra power straight to it.. i dunno.. *shrugs* not my job to think of these things...

just ponder dual 580s unrestricted... hahahah score like 12k on 3dmark11 with 1 card hahahah and then add in SLI! :O