Viexi

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

I was barely able to wait for this game, but then I watched this interview. I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order, then wait for the game to be released, then I'm going to make my judgement on whether I want to get the game or not. I've been playing Dead Island, which suffers really badly from consoletitus, but it's fun enough that I can overlook the frustrations of menus and controls that were designed primarily for the consoles.

I really hope they didn't mess up on the PC version of Skyrim, but that interview really scares me.

Practically all the Bethesda games of late have been ports. Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, even the id developed RAGE. Skyrim being a port isn't really big news. It was announced ages ago that it would not use DX11, so that right there meant the PC platform was not the lead platform.

Oblivion has a pretty bad UI that is fixed by a mod, same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Skyrim will probably be the same way. I'm not saying we should rely on mods to fix the things the developer should have done to begin with, but when it comes to Bethesda, mods are how the game gets extended or even improved. A ton of Oblivion mods have been incorporated into Skyrim, so they at least acknowledge the PC, but it is still disappointing to learn that the consoles, like with other developers, are the lead platforms.

Being a console gamer does not mean you are a core gamer, imo, it just means you would rather take the easy way to be a gamer. Developers don't seem to realize that, so instead of us getting an awesome game on the PC that is then scaled back to the consoles, we get a good game on the consoles that is then tried to become something better on the PC. We have mods that can improve it further, but we shouldn't have to resort to mods just to make a game better for the PC when it should have been developed with PCs in mind from day one.

Yeah, it has DX11 in the game, but it isn't really being used. Maybe it'll be turned on later, but for now, it looks like just DX9.

They said Skyrim would have dx11 but none of the features, I don't know what the heck that means though.

Maybe they're planing on making their next game that uses the creative engine to actually use DX11. It's probably just support for later down the line.

Practically all the Bethesda games of late have been ports. Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, even the id developed RAGE. Skyrim being a port isn't really big news. It was announced ages ago that it would not use DX11, so that right there meant the PC platform was not the lead platform.

Oblivion has a pretty bad UI that is fixed by a mod, same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Skyrim will probably be the same way. I'm not saying we should rely on mods to fix the things the developer should have done to begin with, but when it comes to Bethesda, mods are how the game gets extended or even improved. A ton of Oblivion mods have been incorporated into Skyrim, so they at least acknowledge the PC, but it is still disappointing to learn that the consoles, like with other developers, are the lead platforms.

Being a console gamer does not mean you are a core gamer, imo, it just means you would rather take the easy way to be a gamer. Developers don't seem to realize that, so instead of us getting an awesome game on the PC that is then scaled back to the consoles, we get a good game on the consoles that is then tried to become something better on the PC. We have mods that can improve it further, but we shouldn't have to resort to mods just to make a game better for the PC when it should have been developed with PCs in mind from day one.

True enough, though I think he did go a step further than saying that consoles are the primary focus. He just seemed to really have a lack of respect for his customers. Maybe it wasn't all that bad, but I'm just tired of PC gaming being reduced to console ports with the odd exclusive. It burns my butt that PC gamers made these companies rich for them to just turn their backs on us. Rockstar Games is the worst offender. You would think these developers grew up on PC gaming, though I suppose it's more the evil publishers doing the dirty work. Have to keep the shareholders quiet, lol.

True enough, though I think he did go a step further than saying that consoles are the primary focus. He just seemed to really have a lack of respect for his customers. Maybe it wasn't all that bad, but I'm just tired of PC gaming being reduced to console ports with the odd exclusive. It burns my butt that PC gamers made these companies rich for them to just turn their backs on us. Rockstar Games is the worst offender. You would think these developers grew up on PC gaming, though I suppose it's more the evil publishers doing the dirty work. Have to keep the shareholders quiet, lol.

thats why I'm going to school for business. I plan on starting an Indie game company, and have PC be my primary focus. If I dont have a publisher or shareholders to please, I wont have to bend over backwards to please the console crowd, and actually make good games for the PC

Well if Gaming Companies arent going to make the effort to make great PC games then they will loose our business and someone, someone, will get the idea that if they want to make money with a game they can make a great PC game and PC gamers WILL buy it.

We are not made up of 15 year olds with no PC and only an Xbox or Sta3 hooked up to the old TV in the bedroom. We have lives and we have our own money, not our parents money. We have choices and if the Big Game Devs think they can put us in the back seat then we can put our wallets in the backseat too until someone starts making the Good "PC" games. I dont care it its the Russians, the Koreans, the Chinese, or the French or the Italians or the Germans. It doesnt matter if we can even get some gaming company in the North Americas to "GET IT". Someone will. :cheers:

Well if Gaming Companies arent going to make the effort to make great PC games then they will loose our business and someone, someone, will get the idea that if they want to make money with a game they can make a great PC game and PC gamers WILL buy it.

We are not made up of 15 year olds with no PC and only an Xbox or Sta3 hooked up to the old TV in the bedroom. We have lives and we have our own money, not our parents money. We have choices and if the Big Game Devs think they can put us in the back seat then we can put our wallets in the backseat too until someone starts making the Good "PC" games. I dont care it its the Russians, the Koreans, the Chinese, or the French or the Italians or the Germans. It doesnt matter if we can even get some gaming company in the North Americas to "GET IT". Someone will. :cheers:

I don't think it's that bad yet, we still have a lot of indie developers making PC-only games, and some of the big developers are still giving our platform the focus it deserves. I'm betting that Diablo 3 is going to be amazing, though I'm not really in agreement with the "always on" DRM. I'll still love playing it, though.

I'm hoping that the focus on consoles now is only a temporary thing that will help curb piracy on PC a bit so when the developers come back they will get the support that they deserve. I think a price drop would help piracy a bit as well. Some people won't buy something if it costs pennies if they can get it for free, but most people just can't afford the $50-60 on every cool game that comes out. I'll buy games I've been waiting for when they are new, but I wait for Steam sales for the stuff that just isn't worth the high price at release.

Yeah, I guess this kinda derails the thread, hopefully nobody minds too much. :biggrin:

If Skyrim as good as Oblivion, I'll be happy. If it's fixes the stuff that went bad from Morrowind to Oblivion, I'll be very happy.