El_Capitan

Computer Pet Peeves

some of these have probably been mentioned already

- being tech support. i can understand if i built the thing, but why should i be tech support for something i didnt build. or being tech support for a program that i never use like M$ outlook. just because i'm "good with computers" doesn't mean that i'm a freaking computer encyclopaedia

- being told off for "messing" / "playing" / "fiddling" around with settings on someone else's pc when im trying to fix / do something for them. Fine, i wont figure out how this program works or how to do that and you can fix it yourself.

- Telling other family members that they need to back up but it only gets done if do it for them. aside from yesterday, the last time my sister backed up was when i built her a new computer. that was christmas 2009! and even then i was the one who did it! i know im not perfect, but i back up close to every 2 months or so. the important things like uni work get backed up every couple of few weeks or so.

- cleaning the dust out other people's cases because they complain that they cant. how do you think i learnt how to clean out my case? the same way they should. you open it up and stick a vacuum in there, turn it on and aim it at the dust. how F'n hard can it be? but everytime my sister insists that she needs my help. and then complains she doesn't know how to reconnect the keyboard, mouse and monitor etc that she disconnected in the first place.

Technology fanboys. I used to be a hardcore AMD and nVidia fanboy, then I realized that it doesn't matter, power is power and value is value. Sitting there ranting and raving about how X brand will always be better than Y brand for no actual logical reason is just a stupid waste of time. And I always get it more with the less educated, "Oh, your laptop is a POS Jap-crap Toshiba? I've got a Dell, it's so much better than your hunk of crap."

People who think that you can build them an amazingly fast computer for some ungodly low sum of money ("Hey, can you build me the fastest computer possible for $500?" Real question), thinking that you can take a cheap old processor and overclock it to the stars to outperform modern day equipment, because they "Read about it on the internet, it's totally doable"

Bil, most people are too damn lazy to figure things out on their own, and ignorant. They view computers as these mysterious objects that will destroy themselves if they try to mess with them physically, excluding beating on the mouse or keyboard.

People who think that you can build them an amazingly fast computer for some ungodly low sum of money ("Hey, can you build me the fastest computer possible for $500?" Real question), thinking that you can take a cheap old processor and overclock it to the stars to outperform modern day equipment, because they "Read about it on the internet, it's totally doable"

+1

The "i read it on the internet is sooo annoying. If they read it on the internet they should go do it themselves.

Hmm. Its not that everyone is stupid, i think...... i think its just that people like to be thought knowledgeable on everything. And sadly we cant know everything. Its just more obvious with computer stuff cause to lots of people its still magic. So us nerds get the short straw of the deal.

I don't like flashy computers. I like computers that are awesome in an understated way. I don't like garish combinations of LEDs or stickers or guys with RicerPC syndrome.

YES! I didn't even think to post this!

When I tell people I have a H70 water cooler and they say "Its impossible ! Water cant be inside a computer !" lol

I don't like flashy computers. I like computers that are awesome in an understated way. I don't like garish combinations of LEDs or stickers or guys with RicerPC syndrome.

Honestly, I hate people that hate this, or even anyone that mentions the word Ricer, makes me want to punch them in the face. I can tolerate all the ignorance that comes with most people that don't know computers because that's understandable, you can't know everything. There isn't anything wrong about having a nice looking or flashy computer though, my computer case has blue LEDs in it and I think it looks nice, I enjoy the color blue, I think it's a relaxing color. I certainly don't think my computer is faster for having them or anything like that, and I wouldn't really say I show it off since it sits underneath my desk. I hate to be hatin' but I can't stand people that hate things they really have no good reason to hate, it's just lights, they can't hurt you.

ooh thought of another one. when you buy a case from antec and all the LEDs on all the fans are blue. but the LEDs on one fan are a ligher shade of blue like an aqua colour. its happened both my 1200 and my sister's 900

There isn't anything wrong about having a nice looking or flashy computer though, my computer case has blue LEDs in it and I think it looks nice, I enjoy the color blue, I think it's a relaxing color. ...

it's just lights, they can't hurt you.

leave an antec 1200 turned on in your bedroom overnight and you'll hate blue LEDs.

May have been posted before, but family members who get amazingly upset if you even hint at asking for money for your services. Small jobs I won't ask for money on, but if I spend six hours backing up your PC, reinstalling Windows for you, and doing my best to set it up just like it was before minus the six or seven browser toolbars, I don't think it's terribly ridiculous to ask for $10-15 to cover my time and gas, especially when all the local places bill at $50 an hour after the $80 diagnostic fee.

ooh thought of another one. when you buy a case from antec and all the LEDs on all the fans are blue. but the LEDs on one fan are a ligher shade of blue like an aqua colour. its happened both my 1200 and my sister's 900

leave an antec 1200 turned on in your bedroom overnight and you'll hate blue LEDs.

I left a stock sunbeam transformer in my room, on all day and night, for 2 years. I win.

For those who don't know, that's like having a hurricane with a flashlight in your room.

I've since replaced the fans, but it still glows, just now it glows blue/green from UV lighting and 2 blue LED Yate Loon 120mm's on my radiator.

I've also learned to hate it when people watch me work on a computer. My girlfriend was watching me install my new PSU in my computer, and it really irritated me for whatever reason. :huh:

Honestly, I hate people that hate this, or even anyone that mentions the word Ricer, makes me want to punch them in the face. I can tolerate all the ignorance that comes with most people that don't know computers because that's understandable, you can't know everything. There isn't anything wrong about having a nice looking or flashy computer though, my computer case has blue LEDs in it and I think it looks nice, I enjoy the color blue, I think it's a relaxing color. I certainly don't think my computer is faster for having them or anything like that, and I wouldn't really say I show it off since it sits underneath my desk. I hate to be hatin' but I can't stand people that hate things they really have no good reason to hate, it's just lights, they can't hurt you.

Heh, hit a nerve?

I don't hate all LEDs nor do I dislike any attempt to make something look nice. I've seen countless systems where LEDs have been used tastefully in a way that actually enhances the look of the box. However! Most attempts that I have seen just come off looking cheap, in my experience. But that's just my taste. I tend to think power should be understated and demonstrated, no need for a flashing neon light blinking the words "FAST AND POWERFUL" I think that kind of thing comes off a bit insecure.

Post some pics if you want my opinion for whatever reason. You are free to check out my latest build, there is a thread in the worklogs subforum.

Bruce