PCiE overclocking

As the title n description suggests, im curious to know how overclocking ur pcie slots works and what effect it has on overall performance...

also, does it over volt itself or is that done manually?? how is it done?? whats safe.. usual questions :)

As the title n description suggests, im curious to know how overclocking ur pcie slots works and what effect it has on overall performance...

also, does it over volt itself or is that done manually?? how is it done?? whats safe.. usual questions :)

Some people say PCI frequency over the stock 100 will boost performance but it unstabilises the system . I tried 105 and it keeped crashing in benchmarks , I lowered it and it worked fine . Maybe that was to do with me needing to give it more voltage to be stable . Im also curious to see what guys say .

P.S : You're really trying to find out any possible reason how my cpu score is better than yours in 3D Mark 11 ey Matty ? Lol

yer.. same cpu.. 700 points and the only diff being ram lol kinda sucks

But you saw MercuryDoun prove that higher frequency ram gives a higher score so you know why my cpu score is higher .

You can go up to 105 without any issues

You *should* be able to - my board certainly won't. Anything over 103 causes HDD corruption and general instability. I keep it locked at 100 MHz. :) Most cards don't base their clock speeds on the bus speed though - only a few specific boards did.

Edited by Waco

You are just overclocking the interface, i.e increasing the bandwidth of the lanes. pcie2.0x16 is eqivalent to 32 PCI slots which is by far enough for todays cards (Sli and Crossfire uses the extra bandwidth available for example). The clock was defined for PCI in the beginning of the 1990s and as such was not meant to be tinkered with. Every card and interface is built to work fine for that specification, but increasing it will make the signals unable to reach their destinations in time. If you look closely on most motherboards you will see 'cables' etched into the board in weird zig-zag patterns, that is because of timing issues (if the signal is to early for example), and these will be too slow if you increase the clockrate.

Bottom line: Don't overclock you pci-bus!

yer.. same cpu.. 700 points and the only diff being ram lol kinda sucks

Ive already proven your RAM is whats causing your same clocked CPU to lose to Nyt... get better ram!!! both lowering timings and increasing clock speed provide a significant increase in the 3dmark11 CPU score.

Yes it sucks, but quality ram DOES make a difference. Buy yourself a set with the highest speeds and lowest timings... if you can find a set with insane speeds(example) you see that due to the 2000 mhz speed the timings kind of suck. But by lowering the speed to the 1700-1900 area you should have alot more wiggle room with the timings allowing you to get alot out of this set. If you really want fast ram you would need to go down to 2gbx2 sets... however all major memory manufactures have a set of ram similar to the one i linked, with 2x4gb really high speeds and sorta high timings. So you should be able to pick a similar set up where ever you are.

BTW i wouldnt really recommend doing this, its really expensive, lol. And the only place your ever gonna notice a difference is in bench marks... but hey, if you REALLLLY wanna beat Nyt.... lol.