Water_Hazard

3dMark 11

That's a balling score! You can def. beat 10000.

No, its not. Anyone can beat 10k with lowering the tessalation in CCC therefore

Score invalid : "Benchmark tessellation load modified by AMD Catalyst driver, result invalid. Check your video driver settings."

Check in CCC what tessalation is set to.

Its not accepted by HWbot if you lower the tessalation load and it will not be accepted in this thread

Please rerun and untick the "AMD Optimised" tessalation setting in CCC to get a valid and realistic score

Edit : Ahh I see you edited your score, good.

How much does faster ram effect benchmarks

Ehh not much in 3DMark11, have you ever gone for 5Ghz on your 2600K? If you did that, it'd help a LOT in Physics score.

Memory speed to a degree has a pretty decent change, but memory timings give a significant boost to that CPU score though. So if you properly overclock your memory(have to find a healthy balance between tightest timings and highest MHz.) then your CPU score will be significantly improved.

To give you an idea of how much difference memory speed/timings can make, This is the highest 3dMark11 Score i've ever gotten: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1124926 In my defense i have not run 3dMark11 in close to a year, so im sure i could get a better score with the new drivers, I just haven't had time! teehee.gif

But my CPU score in that run with my i7-930 @ 4.4GHz(CPU score = 10695) scored higher than your i7-2600k @ 4.8GHz(CPU Score = 10251). Now i didn't beat it by a lot, But i still did with a older architecture and 400MHz less per core. But my memory was running at 2100MHz with i think 9-11-9-27 timings. I don't remember the exact timings and speeds, because it was almost a year ago i made that run. But still somewhere in that area allowed me to get that awesome CPU score!

Memory makes a difference!*

*In benchmarks, you'll ever see the difference in your day to day use.

now i have never messed with ram timings

i just bought an 2x4 kit of patriot viper extreme d2 ddr3 2133

how easy is it to change timings

couldn't beat my score -- :P haha. I guess that's as good as it wants to be. lol.

It may be just me, but after looking at the scores, a ~6200 is actually pretty damn good for a 4.4 GHz 2600K and a stock clocked 6970.

It may be just me, but after looking at the scores, a ~6200 is actually pretty damn good for a 4.4 GHz 2600K and a stock clocked 6970.

Her 6970 isn't Overclocked? No wonder she only got 6200...

now i have never messed with ram timings

i just bought an 2x4 kit of patriot viper extreme d2 ddr3 2133

how easy is it to change timings

You just lower timings one at a time by one, until it gets unstable.(IE doesn't boot, doesn't run right, or runs slow, Or crashes.)

No idea what you would need to do to increase memory stability on the LGA1155 socket though. With LGA1366 QPI(Northbridge) plays a HUGE factor in stabilizing memory overclocks, as well as very small memory voltage increases. But mostly QPI does the foot work. There was lots of other little settings to be messed with as well, but QPI was the big factor.

So you can either research what you would need to change to increase memory stability, or just lower timings until things got unstable then bring timings back up to last stable timings. Definitely lower only one at a time though!

So say your stock timings for your 2133 memory are 11-11-11-30 2T. Start by going 10-11-11-30 2T, then 10-10-11-30 2T... Once you've hit a timing that wont budge, feel free to continue to lower others. So lets say you can't drop the middle 11, so you are stuck at 10-11-11-30. Just skip the middle timing, and keep going. 10-11-10-30 2T, 10-11-10-29 2T... You'll probably get the biggest drop on the 4th timing. It'll prolly drop to 27 or so. The first three i doubt with drop much, but the timing that has the biggest increase in speed is the CAS lat, or the first timing, so anything you can drop on the first one is the biggest difference. I can't imagine you'd be able to drop the command rate(2T) Normally at those speeds 2T is pretty normal, i dont see how 1T could be achieveable without major voltage changes which would be very bad for your memory and CPU.

If you get lucky i see 9-11-9-27 in your future, but back when i first started overclocking memory i was lucky to get get 100MHz out of it and nothing on the timings. It took me months to figure it all out! Lots of research was involved.

Edited by MercuryDoun

Her 6970 isn't Overclocked? No wonder she only got 6200...

It's not stable even at a slight OC...scores just go down if I can get a run in. :P

It's not stable even at a slight OC...scores just go down if I can get a run in. :P

So weird... PSU issue maybe? Is your PSU a multi rail one?

So weird... PSU issue maybe? Is your PSU a multi rail one?

PSU is good. Just got the hybrid 850W from CM at CES. It's possible the card has some issues -- I blame previous owner... :whistling:

PSU is good. Just got the hybrid 850W from CM at CES. It's possible the card has some issues -- I blame previous owner... :whistling:

I second that !