5870 or 6870?

DeathNote

Im looking to upgrade my graphics card and I finally have some extra cash.

I've been looking into a 6870 for about $260 but Newegg has a 5870 on sale for $215 after MIR

Im thinkin about the SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB or the XFX HD-687A-ZNBC Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition 1GB cards.

I have 2 questions......

1) If I put one card into my system, which card is the best option?

2) If I crossfired the cards, which card is the best option?

the 5870 is not $215 with MIR its $259 with MIR

I don't think it's a good idea to go 6870 crossfire. It's too expensive for the power. Either a single 6870 or a single 5870. Those should be enough for quite a while before you'd need to upgrade anymore.

I was thinkin 5870's crossfired.

That is an awesome deal for a 5970 2GB, but I don't feel comfortable purchasing from another forum I don't belong to, haven't been to, don't know the seller, and the warranty on it is basically though him (cant be transferred, so I would have to get a hold of him for any issues......)

Thank you VERY much for the advice though. I really apprecaite it.

Knowing that IVY, would you still go with the 5870's?

I know, but it IS an XFX (ya know, they have those double lifetime warranties where it gets transferred entirely to you)

I can ask him if he is the original owner and able to do that if you want.

You SHOULD get two 5870s...but give me one :P

I know, but it IS an XFX (ya know, they have those double lifetime warranties where it gets transferred entirely to you)

I can ask him if he is the original owner and able to do that if you want.

You SHOULD get two 5870s...but give me one :P

Unfortunately, he says in the description that he is the original owner, except he got it as a replacement for 3 dead cards, so the warranty can not be transferred.

Unfortunately, he says in the description that he is the original owner, except he got it as a replacement for 3 dead cards, so the warranty can not be transferred.

That he did....would you be able to get the MIR on two cards though??

With that in mind....... Crossfire the 5870's or just get one? or get the 6870?

I say go with a good model of 5870. It will last for a long time before you need to upgrade. Crossfire 5870 isn't necessary and you don't need to spend your money on it, unless you really want to.

My buddy bough a x850xt when it first came out, and he's still using it. Just now is he actually considering getting a new card and he doesn't even want any of that expensive stuff, 250$ max for him. If I knew better I'd have done the same instead of spending 480$ on my 5870... but I don't. lol

Edited by sack_patrol