Rift: Planes of Telara

Dariuas

Very short one-page article on Rift in the Feb 2011 issue of PC Gamer (just arrived at my door today). Here are some key snippets:

Rift's Martyr mode is a creative twist on player-vs.-player combat in an MMO. It feels like a morbid game of keep-away, with two teams of 10 players trying to hold onto the Fang of Regulus to score points for their team while the other side hunts down the fang-holder. It's a chaotic, fun mess from the moment you grab the fang to when you eventually get dog-piled and shredded to bits by the other team.

The Codex is a team control point map with an extra point in the middle of the map that boosts your score much faster than the other control points. The central objective and smaller map size keeps combat constant and frenetic.

At first glance, the Winterfall map looks like it might be PvPvE - an Air Rift, which usually spawns NPCs, floats in the middle of the battlefield. But in this case the rift is strictly cosmetic, and the map sticks to standard capture-the-flag gameplay.

Rewards, including top-tier gear and a PvP-focused "soul" (talent tree) for players to specialize in, are unlocked through a PvP experience system called Prestige after players reach the level cap (50 at launch).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made this compilation for the Rift forums, so I figured I'd post it here.

My sexy High Elf Mage:

Leliana_compilation.png

Chest and Boots were dyed Magenta (crafted-only dye), while the Legs and Shoulders were dyed Purple. My gloves were sadly not dye-able, though they thankfully didn't look that bad.

Sorry for the low-quality - I had FRAPS set to JPG instead of PNG :(

• 3 weeks later...

This game looks promising. Especially after that article. Looks like it will have some fun PVP. Aion has been fun for me, but it's lacking longterm playability and broad fun factors. Looking forward to this game and TERA Online. I love RIFT's class system. I'll probably be buying the game. So far I have been having fun with the beta, but I have been waiting til my new rig gets finished (this weekend) to play it much more indepth.

• 1 year later...