Blank screen with new vid card

KaluMinati

recently picked up an ATi HD 5670 1gb gddr5 card, have an older Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe with the most up to date bios (0701 according to asus) when i try and boot the computer with the ATi card installed, i just get a black screen, works fine when i put the old vid card back in. i have spent all night on google and the asus tech forum trying to figure out why it wont boot and the majority of the answers pointed at the bios needing to be updated to 3.0.3 and higher (which i have) is there possibly something im overlooking?

is your old card nvidia? im guessing by the sig. if so you need to uninstall and clean it out beforehand. worst case is the card is good and you need a clean install (which i usually do every year anyways).

otherwise it could be a number o things, bad card, old bios on card, incompatible with PCIE 1.1 slot. lack of power, etc.

Edited by hornybluecow

is your old card nvidia? im guessing by the sig. if so you need to uninstall and clean it out beforehand. worst case is the card is good and you need a clean install (which i usually do every year anyways).

otherwise it could be a number o things, bad card, old bios on card, incompatible with PCIE 1.1 slot. lack of power, etc.

already uninstalled the nvidia drivers and a full format was done less then 2 weeks ago. problem isnt OS related i dont believe, the pc wont even post, everything powers up, nobodys home tho it seems

edit** should also mention, this card takes less then 75w under full load, my psu is healthy (all rails are optimal) and the card i was told is backwards compatible. prior to buying it, i saw it running sc2 on ultra settings so i know the card isnt dead

Edited by KaluMinati

a little odd to be a bad card if it was just shown being used but i've seen more odd things. like i restarted my computer once and the hard drive went bad upon boot (platter crashed). The Psu power should be just about ruled out unless you forgot to put the 6pin in :) or the board has a 4pin plug also for PCIe slots (not very common). In the past right around when PCie 2.0 came out certain MB had major issues with backwards compatibly so it might be worth googling your MB or trying it in the other Slot.

In the past right around when PCie 2.0 came out certain MB had major issues with backwards compatibly so it might be worth googling your MB or trying it in the other Slot.

this has been the general feel ive been getting while researching this problem, so, went out and got a new mobo and ram today, hopefully this will solve my problem. its a newer am2+ board with PCIe 2.0 so heres hoping

Guest XFXSupport

Some of the first generation PCIE motherboards cannot detect the new cards. The A8R32-MVP Deluxe is one of them. On a hardware level it will work but would require a BIOS update from ASUS which there is not one. The new motherboard should work with that card as long as the card is functional but I have seen that before with the A8R32-MVP Deluxe.

Some of the first generation PCIE motherboards cannot detect the new cards. The A8R32-MVP Deluxe is one of them. On a hardware level it will work but would require a BIOS update from ASUS which there is not one. The new motherboard should work with that card as long as the card is functional but I have seen that before with the A8R32-MVP Deluxe.

this has proven to be the case, new motherboard and 2 trips to the computer store solved my problem =)

this has proven to be the case, new motherboard and 2 trips to the computer store solved my problem =)

i had the same problem with my 4770 @ p5b-e after updating drivers... black screen on boot. changing to a 8600gt and then trying again fixed the issue ( with a dvi adapter) i hope that sht dsnt come back.... :unsure: (updated my bios just in case)