Looking for a good 1TB HDD

My_Inner_Fred

Hey guys I've been looking at 1TB Hard drive on Newegg and these are the ones I found to my liking.

WD 1TB 64MB SATA 6.0GB/s(I thinking about buying this one)

WD 1TB 32MB SATA 3.0GB/s

I want to see what you guys suggest before going ahead and buying. Will I see a performance increase in the 64mb version over the 32mb version with the Motherboard I have now?

You may see a small increase in performance with the 64MB over the 32MB cache but you can't take advantage of the higher transfer speeds of 6.0GB/s with your current motherboard. It would be sensible to buy the 6.0GB/s version because at least you can migrate it over to your next upgrade and hopefully take advantage of the higher speed.

You may see a small increase in performance with the 64MB over the 32MB cache but you can't take advantage of the higher transfer speeds of 6.0GB/s with your current motherboard. It would be sensible to buy the 6.0GB/s version because at least you can migrate it over to your next upgrade and hopefully take advantage of the higher speed.

I was sure I couldn't take advantage of the 6.0gb/s transfer, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the input I guess I'll go for the 64MB version since I'm planning to do a new build in the future anyway.

Go for it and don't worry there isn't a single drive in existence that can push any ware near 6gbs. The most they can go for performance wise is 1.4gbs and that isn't even a sata drive. You will be lucky to get close to 200mbs sequential read and write with any single mechanical drive. Modern hard drives are still fairly slow and many SSD can't even max out 3gbs for those that are sata enabled. SAS SSDs practically don't exist.

Expect about

150mbs read wright

Less than 3-4mbs random 4k with this drive.

It is still a great drive just don't be fooled by the other posts.