Egghead

Any data on SSD's?

Single SSD with TRIM support

Two SSD's in RAID0 with no TRIM support

Does anyone have any data on how much degradation in performance with no TRIM as oppose to having TRIM on in the set ups above? Seems like everyone talks about performance hits with no TRIM, but how much?

Single SSD with TRIM support

Two SSD's in RAID0 with no TRIM support

Does anyone have any data on how much degradation in performance with no TRIM as oppose to having TRIM on in the set ups above? Seems like everyone talks about performance hits with no TRIM, but how much?

I apologize for not having any data on the lack of TRIM support but if you are trying to decide which setup to put in your rig, I suggest just using a single SSD with TRIM. It will be a sufficient boost in speed because the main factor in SSD awesomeness (for lack of a better word lol) is their low seek time. I agree read/write times are important but if you go with a sandforce drive you won't need much more speed than that!

I apologize for not having any data on the lack of TRIM support but if you are trying to decide which setup to put in your rig, I suggest just using a single SSD with TRIM. It will be a sufficient boost in speed because the main factor in SSD awesomeness (for lack of a better word lol) is their low seek time. I agree read/write times are important but if you go with a sandforce drive you won't need much more speed than that!

Agree 100%, to my knowledge TRIM is a form of garbage collection for SSD's. Without trim your SSD'd would essentially get full of garbage as time went on eventually making them no faster than standard HDD's. Once SSD's pass the 50-60% capacity mark, They start to slow down. And without TRIM that happens without you really noticing it.

TRIM is kind of like a Defrag that runs all the time i guess. Think about how much faster an old HDD is after you defrag it moving everything into the proper sectors.

Also NEVER Defrag an SSD. It will destroy them, lol.

Agree 100%, to my knowledge TRIM is a form of garbage collection for SSD's. Without trim your SSD'd would essentially get full of garbage as time went on eventually making them no faster than standard HDD's. Once SSD's pass the 50-60% capacity mark, They start to slow down. And without TRIM that happens without you really noticing it.

TRIM is kind of like a Defrag that runs all the time i guess. Think about how much faster an old HDD is after you defrag it moving everything into the proper sectors.

Also NEVER Defrag an SSD. It will destroy them, lol.

You guys are right, I found a small obscure site and it was stating what you guys are saying. They said 67% is the mark, but each manufacturer is different, but pretty close to that. But also that guy is running them in RAID, but staying clear of the 50-67% and it appears that he leaves his system on all the time so the ITGC runs at idle (probably at the night time).

Well, I'll be looking for one, BLACK FRIDAY!!!!!!

I know this is a day late but I made a thread with my own results on this topic, it can be viewed here:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=176822&st=0&p=1828225&fromsearch=1entry1828225

What I found was that without TRIM working to maintain my array, there was virtually no performance decrease after many many months of using the array. Also, the process for cleaning up the drive garbage was painless and took about 20 minutes. Hope that helped

i have no idea wtf u guys r talking with TRIM n all that stuff, but ive got a SSD hahah and this probably isnt very helpful at all

BUT IT FKN HAMMERS hahahah

dont see why ud wanna go even faster than what it does already... . loads like almost instantly depending on the app. win 7 loads in i dunno.,. 5odd seconds?? its insanely fast.. and its not even the fast of the SSDs.. probably the slowest of the lot that ive got..

i have no idea wtf u guys r talking with TRIM n all that stuff, but ive got a SSD hahah and this probably isnt very helpful at all

BUT IM FKN HAMMERED hahahah

dont see why ud wanna go even faster than what it does already... . loads like almost instantly depending on the app. win 7 loads in i dunno.,. 5odd seconds?? its insanely fast.. and its not even the fast of the SSDs.. probably the slowest of the lot that ive got..

To the rest of you, this is a good reason to be sober. The more sober you are the slimmer your chances are of sounding like a drunken idiot.

Drunkenness aside TRIM command is to keep an SSD running smoothly. I don't know exactly how long it takes most SSD's to degrade but I do know that they crap out much faster without trim.

Edited by gabrieltessin

I just bought my first SSD and here's what I know. Data is handled much differently on a SSD than a HDD. If your SSD doesn't support TRIM, chances are it's very old and there's a firmware update for it. TRIM is a Windows-based command and is automatic in 7. It is called something different in OSX. Windows XP doesn't support TRIM so don't use a SSD on XP because the drive won't perform well at all. Turn off scheduled defragmentation - never defrag your SSD. TRIM is a way of telling the hard drive exactly where blocks of data need to be deleted - they must actually be deleted. On a regular hard drive, the first byte in the file is changed so it's unrecognizable to the controller, but the data actually hasn't been deleted.

I wouldn't say you should not use an SSD on a Windows XP machine, even the performance of a degraded SSD will beat out a mechanical drive. But more importantly, there are a number of ways to restore performance once you actually start to experience the degradation, which generally doesnt even happen for quite a while; the bigger the drive, the longer it takes to hit that heavy-use performance impact. Once you do, you can do a number of things to restore the drive- image + reformat + re-mount works and is very fast, or if its an Intel drive there is a tool you can use to manually TRIM the drive. Of course if your drive has garbage collection, all you need to do is let the system idle every now and then, and the drive will be fine.

First you need to understand what the HD speeds mean. RAIDS look fast on benchmarks but in everyday life they do not deliver the amazing speed you would think. The reason is all the RAID does is speed up throughput. In day to day use a computer does not move large files but rather a large number of small files. Throughput therefore has little effect. SSDs on the other hand speed up the random seek time to near instantaneous. THIS has a huge impact on day to day use as the time needed to find the files is reduced to nothing. Unless you spend a lot of time working with very large files, such as huge video files for editing, the benefits of the RAID 0 are not worth the effort. However in regular use the single SSD gives an amazing speed boost.

Now the theory is that then we can use two SSDs to create a RAID 0 and thus get the best of both worlds, well that is true but the real world, actual benefit is just not there. The smaller cpacity of the SSD means it is less likely you are working with large single files and so any speed you gain from the RAID effect is negated.

TRIM is in the the most basic terms the equivelent of a defrag for an SSD, it cleans out the junk so the drive works more effeciently. Losing Trim means over time your drive will lsoe performance, specifically in the area of writes. Some drives, I know Kingstons dones, includes a limited version of Trim in the drive BIOS so that even if Trim is disabled a little of it's effect is always in play. However given the choice you should always make sure Trim is enabled to ensure maximum effeciency.

If you want raw benchmark numbers and epeen status then go with RAID 0. If you want the most effecient and best experience go with the single SSD.