Top Gear (USA)

Andrewr05

So those of you that saw Sunday's premier episode (11/21/10), what did you think?

I' like anything automobile or mechanically related so at least the driving aspect of the show was entertaining.

I just can't really LIKE the hosts, I don't know what it is but all of their talking just seems forced.

I also think they should have done something else for the premier to draw in the audience better.

Thoughts?

for the first show of a new series, it has quite a bit to live up to. I think they are trying to do similar things as the original, but also trying to make it "American", which is quite a hard task.

I agree the talking seemed forced, but if you have watched the first 2 or 3 seasons of the original, it was hardly any better. The show will get better with time, and I think the hosts will become more 'open' and relaxed. Its not like they have never had TV experience before.

I think it was a good first episode. and I think the viper chase was a good way to grab peoples attention.

The hosts need some time to get used to being hosts. I dont know about the other 2 guys, but Tanner Foust is a professional drifter, not an established TV personality.

I agree with zackhaf, give them more time to get into the flow of it. But it definitely has promise

for the first show of a new series, it has quite a bit to live up to. I think they are trying to do similar things as the original, but also trying to make it "American", which is quite a hard task.

I agree the talking seemed forced, but if you have watched the first 2 or 3 seasons of the original, it was hardly any better. The show will get better with time, and I think the hosts will become more 'open' and relaxed. Its not like they have never had TV experience before.

Yeah I agree, though I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

It shouldn't have to live up to the other TG's reputation, that'd be unfair, it should be able to grow on it's own and have it's own characters. Why have two of the same show (despite it having the same name)??

The characters might have alot of pressure BECAUSE they'd be compared to the BBC TG cast but once people start trusting in them, they'll come into their own and make the show more enjoyable and competitive with the British TG.

In my opinion they're trying too hard to mimic the Brit Top Gear.

I don't remember where I read it but someone aid something along the lines of this:

Top Gear UK is a comedy show that happens to be about cars.

Top Gear USA so far seems to be a car show with some kind of 'attempted' humour aspect.

Found the source:

HERE

So those of you that saw Sunday's premier episode (11/21/10), what did you think?

I' like anything automobile or mechanically related so at least the driving aspect of the show was entertaining.

I just can't really LIKE the hosts, I don't know what it is but all of their talking just seems forced.

I also think they should have done something else for the premier to draw in the audience better.

Thoughts?

I think its impossible to live up to the quality Jeremy, James and Richard bring to the UK version. I personally doubt I will ever tune into the American version, as I watch the UK one all the time on BBC America. With that said, they have also made an Australian version of the show that to my understanding receives pretty good reviews out there.

From the short preview of the American version I saw, it seemed like it lacked the love hate relationship for one another like the hosts of the UK version have. This relationship the UK series has, really is the driving force for most of the humor behind the show.

Personally I think Top Gear is the hosts, and I just don't see a group of American guys having passion for some of the cars like their UK counterparts have passion for. I doubt we will see challenges or documentary's on these Americans flipping Reliant Robins or other similar cars. The UK show just has that chemistry for success, which I think is impossible to duplicate.

to early to tell and too many dumb arses judging by a trailer saying they wont watch it .

Its real easy to throw out the name calling over the internet. Personally I won't watch it not because I don't like or dislike it, its just the fact that I love the UK version and really don't see a reason to watch what in turn is the same show with different hosts, and locations.

I think its impossible to live up to the quality Jeremy, James and Richard bring to the UK version. I personally doubt I will ever tune into the American version, as I watch the UK one all the time on BBC America. With that said, they have also made an Australian version of the show that to my understanding receives pretty good reviews out there.

My understanding and you're understanding are different. The australian version recieves a lot of comparisons in the form of "oh ok he's the clarkson, he's the hammond" type of thing and AFAIK the raitings aren't as good as the UK TG which airs on the same network.

i've not really seen much of the Aussie adaptation. IMO the original is the best.