redtigerdragon

Starting new programming job!

So on Monday I will be starting in my career as a professional programmer! YAY! :thumbsup: I was wondering, what tips and suggestions you guys would have for a n00b like me?

Expect at least a week, and maybe up to 4, just learning the system you will be working on - don't be surprised to be stuck on 'support' like work. My first job had me on support for a year but then they didn't let anyone start coding on their trading systems immediately. Not what I wanted to be doing, and sometimes tempting to look for a more 'interesting' job but you will have this almost anywhere you work.

What you coding in and what are the systems for?

Edited by suedenim

Cuurently it will be turbo pascal, but they are taking on another system in c# using a SQL backend. I have programmed using c#/SQL, but not pascal before. It's for a business management software company.

You'll also be working on the menial coding tasks and probably nothing on the newer framework as the "new guy". If you start getting bored, tell them, and ask if they could assign you something you feel like you'd be interested in doing.

So on Monday I will be starting in my career as a professional programmer! YAY! :thumbsup: I was wondering, what tips and suggestions you guys would have for a n00b like me?

bring better lighting...

Congrats on the job! A few tips as a newcomer:

1. Slow down and be exceedingly careful while testing your code -- this was my biggest stumbling point early on. In school getting something 90-95% of the way there gets you an A and is good enough. In a professional environment if it breaks even 0.1% of the time you're going to hear about it. It takes longer, but you'll earn your coworkers trust much faster this way.
  2. If you have a large ego, leave it at the door.
  3. Have an open mind about their way of doing things, even if you think you could suggest a better way. They don't want the new guy telling them what to do.
  4. If they aren't giving you much to do early on, don't hesitate to ask coworkers if they have any small tasks you could take over for them.