AR-fatality

New Core i7/i5 Build

hey guys i havent been around the occ forum for a while. i need some help with my new system setup. the system will be mainly used as a gaming machine. im looking towards getting a core i5 750 or a core i7 950. the thing is do i really need a i7 950 for purely gaming purposes?

i plan to keep my 20" Samsung (1680x1050) for the time being and maybe later shift to a 1920x1200 display. im also looking towards getting a HD6870. should that be enough to fully max out games and achieve playable frame rates at 1680x1050/or 1920x1080?

should i get a p55 or h55/57 if i do get the i5 750? i dont have any future crossfire plans. i plan to oc the cpu. motherboard/cpu/ram/gpu/cpucooler recommendations would be great. really appreciate the help.

thanks

hey guys i havent been around the occ forum for a while. i need some help with my new system setup. the system will be mainly used as a gaming machine. im looking towards getting a core i5 750 or a core i7 950. the thing is do i really need a i7 950 for purely gaming purposes?

i plan to keep my 20" Samsung (1680x1050) for the time being and maybe later shift to a 1920x1200 display. im also looking towards getting a HD6870. should that be enough to fully max out games and achieve playable frame rates at 1680x1050/or 1920x1080?

should i get a p55 or h55/57 if i do get the i5 750? i dont have any future crossfire plans. i plan to oc the cpu. motherboard/cpu/ram/gpu/cpucooler recommendations would be great. really appreciate the help.

thanks

You may also wish to consider an AMD system for a gaming system. Usually a bit cheaper, just as good for gaming.

As for intel if its just gaming then get the i5 750/760 and a decent CPU cooler and overclock the hell out of it.

If you for some reason you feel the need to get an i5... Then I agree with dihart, go AMD the build will cost you $100 less and be just as good, the i7-950 is a whole different beast, i have a i7-930 overclocked and its amazing.

So basically your real choice should be, Do you wanna save a few bucks and get the AMD build? Or do you want the raw power of a 950?? You know the i7-950 and i5-750(or 760!) are different sockets right? the x58 platform is alittle more expensive to enter into, and im not ashamed to admit thats its already pretty much a dead socket... Intel's new series of processors is coming into the LGA 1155(not be to confused with the current 1156, hope intel chokes on a dick for this move) and LGA 2011... So no matter how you look Intel at this time, your already closed to upgrades. To be fair, nobody knows if the AM3 socket is dead either. AMD hasnt yet released any information on what socket the desktop versions of Bulldozer will be using. Put its possible you could upgrade into Bulldozer by getting an AM3 socket now.

Personally, id say jump into an AMD Hex-core build, and overclock it into the 4.0Ghz range. And its future resistant, as in sure most games dont use more than quad-core right NOW but they will in the future. If you look at benchmarks, you'll see the i5-750 and Phenom II quad's trading blows with the 6-cores sitting right in the same area as the quad-cores. But sure enough in benchmarks and games that use all 6 cores, there is a pretty big jump in awesome on the hex-core cpu's.

Make a choice on what build you wanna jump in, and them im sure a buncha people, including myself, will post alot of builds for you to look at, and help you finalize a great build with everything you want.

Personally, id say jump into an AMD Hex-core build, and overclock it into the 4.0Ghz range. And its future resistant, as in sure most games dont use more than quad-core right NOW but they will in the future. If you look at benchmarks, you'll see the i5-750 and Phenom II quad's trading blows with the 6-cores sitting right in the same area as the quad-cores. But sure enough in benchmarks and games that use all 6 cores, there is a pretty big jump in awesome on the hex-core cpu's.

:withstupid:

I'd go AMD and if there still is extra left over, get a 1055T