How much RAM?

However, if you plan on running Vista or Windows 7, then you might consider going for 8Gb.

Granted im running tri channel but i have rarely noticed more than 40% usage on my 6GB of ram. I am running windows 7.

But as you said if he can afford it might as well go for it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the OP is on an AMD System (assuming it's the one in his sig) he is capped at dual channel and can't run tri-channel.

Accordingly a 2x2 kit is probably his best bet to keep tight timings at DDR3 1600 speeds.

The Mushkin Redlines are kick butt. You'll be happy with that kit and they are selling at a great price point. I'd say go for it.

no no, this is some machine I will try build this month, and it is an i7 950 or something similar (because when you go computer shop they make you special offers so one never knows)..

btw what is OP?

Thanks in advice

If you're going to do a build based on Socket 1366 then you need to be looking at tri-channel kits like 3x2gb, 6x2gb or 3x4Gb etc.

Regards,

That's a common misconception. You can use dual-channel kits. As long as it's DDR3, it's fine. So 2x2GB will work.

If you don't believe me, take out one of your modules so it's 2x2GB and you'll find that your LGA 1366 board will be running in Dual Channel mode. Heck, you can even just run one 2GB stick if your OS supports that minimal amount of memory to run, and you'll run in Single Channel mode. ;)

I know I've said this on here a million times in a million different threads but I CAN NOT believe how expensive memory is now.

:wacko:

I paid 40 for 4GB awhile back.

pic

That's DDR2, though. I bought a DDR3 2x2GB kit for $66 over a year ago, then prices jumped. At least prices are going back down to where they were, though.

post-70939-12901114976934_thumb.png

I know I've said this on here a million times in a million different threads but I CAN NOT believe how expensive memory is now.

:wacko:

I paid 40 for 4GB awhile back.

pic

Ya I just filled the rest of my slots recently for $40 but the NEW prices for memory now are disgusting!

Wow, lots of replies.

But, im on Windows 7 Home Premium, also got a 64 bit upgrade disc, so that wont be an issue.

Budget wise, i was trying to stay under 180.

I am considering buying two kits of that Mushkin Blackline that IVIY linked.

Edited by AddictedGamer93

Two kits of these if you don't mind the higher latencies: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&cm_re=ddr3_1600_4gb-_-20-231-193-_-Product (roughly $120 with the coupon)

other wise the Mushkins would be $160

(note that the premade 8gb kits are overpriced so buying two 4gb kits are the way to go!)