Just wondering if 4gb of ram is enough for a gaming rig. Or should I go for 8gb?

I also will probably get either a 6970 or a 6990, but idk if that would matter.

Thanks in advance.

4GB will be fine, I'd spend the money elsewhere unless it's the last thing to upgrade (or you get a really sweet deal on memory)

How's this look? Awesome i say :evilgrin:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-226-120&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

I hear that AM3 systems see a much larger benefit from lower latency than a high clock, and i think that those redlines have the lowest latency on newegg.

Edited by AddictedGamer93

Now I'm just annoyed I bought the Corsairs. Those do look good. Lowest timings I've noticed on DDR3 1600

I'd get these, they're timings are marginally higher (CL7) but are a far better bargain. Easily my favorite sticks out

I'll build a rig with 3x2Gb 1600mhz just to make triple channel.. I think 6gb more than enough for now..

I'll build a rig with 3x2Gb 1600mhz just to make triple channel.. I think 6gb more than enough for now..

Since the OP is on an AMD System (assuming it's the one in his sig) he is capped at dual channel and can't run tri-channel.

Accordingly a 2x2 kit is probably his best bet to keep tight timings at DDR3 1600 speeds.

The Mushkin Redlines are kick butt. You'll be happy with that kit and they are selling at a great price point. I'd say go for it.

Dang, thanks! Very good deal!

I also had another idea. I can get 8gb of G.Skill Ripjaws for $130 and overclock them to the same spec as my current ram. What would you do?

Mobo cant handle over 1600mhz, btw.

As far as gaming stick with 4GB, you won't notice any benefit beyond that. I've put 8GB in my systems before and couldn't see any difference. Running 12GB now and can't see the difference between 6GB. I do it because it takes one question out of the equation, "do I have enough RAM?" and fixes my obsession. If you have the budget then go for it but your money could be better spent on things like a better a graphics card(your best place to put money in a gaming rig), faster CPU, CPU cooler to overclock more, etc. Don't count on being able to overclock that RAM, it's never guaranteed to reach those speeds and be stable.

As far as gaming stick with 4GB, you won't notice any benefit beyond that. I've put 8GB in my systems before and couldn't see any difference. Running 12GB now and can't see the difference between 6GB. I do it because it takes one question out of the equation, "do I have enough RAM?" and fixes my obsession. If you have the budget then go for it but your money could be better spent on things like a better a graphics card(your best place to put money in a gaming rig), faster CPU, CPU cooler to overclock more, etc. Don't count on being able to overclock that RAM, it's never guaranteed to reach those speeds and be stable.

Alright, ill stick with 4 then. But yea, im going to buy a 6970 or a 6990, dont know which yet. But i dont know if i should buy a new cpu now or later. I mean hell, i'd overclock higher, but my cpu cant handle over 3.6 without going over 1.50v, which makes me paranoid. Im pretty sure it wont bottleneck any of the graphics cards i said i may buy, but idk for sure.

Edited by AddictedGamer93

AG - I think one important question that's been left out of your "how much memory do I need" question - is what OS you plan on running. If you're on an XP rig, then 4Gb is more than enough. However, if you plan on running Vista or Windows 7, then you might consider going for 8Gb.

While I agree that you probably won't notice any difference between 4 and 8Gb installed, be advised that 64-bit versions of Vista and especially Windows 7 can make very efficient use of all the RAM installed in your system.

Part of your question might also be answered by your budget constraints. If you have planned on and can afford 8Gb of memory with your other hardware purchaces then I'd say "why not"

Some users don't upgrade that often, so If you're going to do it you might as well do it right :)

Here is a great 8Gb kit that would work well for your setup. About $100 more than you'd spend on a 4Gb kit;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231401