El_Capitan

Who Else Is or Isn't Excited About Sandy Bridge?

Who Else Is or Isn't Excited About Sandy Bridge?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who Else Is or Isn't Excited About Sandy Bridge?

• Excited, I'm going to be the first to get one!
    • I'll see what others think, first, but I'm on the bandwagon.
    • Maybe, if you CAN overclock the locked CPU's, then more towards yes, otherwise more towards no.
    • Nah, I'd rather go with AMD's Bulldozer.
    • I'm good with what I have, I'll wait for the next generation after.

I'm seeing a lot of Sandy Bridge motherboard previews, but the same thing I heard months ago still seems to ring true. You can't overclock locked CPU's since the bus speed will be locked at 100MHz. You can overclock unlocked CPU's, but will only be able to adjust the multiplier.

Just wondering what most other people's thoughts were. I think it's a ploy for them to make enthusiasts pay top dollar just to overclock. I think they don't want people buying $200 - $300 CPU's that gets the same performance as $500 - $1000 CPU's by overclocking the bus speed, at least not anymore.

I'm seeing a lot of Sandy Bridge motherboard previews, but the same thing I heard months ago still seems to ring true. You can't overclock locked CPU's since the bus speed will be locked at 100MHz. You can overclock unlocked CPU's, but will only be able to adjust the multiplier.

Just wondering what most other people's thoughts were. I think it's a ploy for them to make enthusiasts pay top dollar just to overclock. I think they don't want people buying $200 - $300 CPU's that gets the same performance as $500 - $1000 CPU's by overclocking the bus speed, at least not anymore.

looking forward to 22nm/8core and beyond...depending on how business goes, i might buy in early...

I want to see how everything pans out first, see how everything goes. I'm not excited about anything until the reviews hit.

If motherboard manufacturers don't unlock the OC'n Intel wont be seeing my dime, AMD will have a new customer :cheers:

Seems like they are aiming at the OEM and not the enthusiast market if they are going to lock the FSB. Im not interested in them if thats the case. I will wait to see what Bulldozer brings to decide whether or not to replace my C2D rig.

No overclock.... no purchase, done... Sandy Bridge is gonna blow... blow away the average user market because im sure it will be great for that, but extreme & k-series processors always have a hefty price tag. Meh ill pass.

Already saving money to purchase a bulldozer system just because, not like my OC'd i7 isnt good enough, i just have always loved AMD and cant wait to go back to them heh.

Im not really excited. Im much more excited by Bulldozer though. May be the chip that puts AMD back in the performance lead, which id love to see.

..., but extreme & k-series processors always have a hefty price tag. Meh ill pass.

if you think $30 extra dollars is a hefty price tag :rolleyes:

if you think $30 extra dollars is a hefty price tag :rolleyes:

hefty compared to AMD's premium they put on the Black Edition CPU's.

I'm happy with what I have but I sympathize with intel. I imagine part of the reason they're doing this is because the chips can overclock too well and even the ones with the lowest multipliers would overclock past the more expensive ones with ease. Much like how the 32nm dual cores could overclock super well. I'm speculating though.

If motherboard manufacturers don't unlock the OC'n Intel wont be seeing my dime, AMD will have a new customer :cheers:

I'm looking forward to it since I have recently had an opportunity to play with a few of the chips!