Sign in to follow this  
jack_of_java

Harddrive Dilemma

I'm stuck as far as what I want/should do here. Currently, my out of date NAS has a ton of 500gb drives that are used for storage and playing multimedia across my home network. I have been wanting to go to the 2tb hardrives in order to cut down on power usage, amount of harddrives and noise, and possibly even remove the NAS off of my network. Removing the NAS would require that I put the harddrive(s) in a secondary computer, which I already have running 24/7 anyways. So here's where I'm stuck. Should I get 2 of the 2tb drives and put them in RAID so i always have a backup? Or should I just install one drive while backing it up on the other using eSata or an external drive cradle?

Wow, that's a tough question. It might come down to whether you do or you want to keep a data backup offsite in case of an unplanned disaster. I always keep one external backup drive in my safety deposit box at the bank. That way if we're ever hit by a tornado, fire or flood I won't lose years worth of photos, music and video that I've accumulated.

The nice thing about a RAID 1 setup is convenience and accessibility.

I know this isn't really the cut and dry answer you were looking for, but just a couple more things you might consider...............