Shurman292

GPU Folding on 2nd Hard Drive

I recently bought an SSD and heard talk of [email protected] constantly writing to the drive. So I wanted to set up my GPU client so that it could run completely off of my data HDD (drive E:) instead of burning up write cycles on my SSD. Is there a way to do this? The [email protected] installation wizard does not allow you to change installation destinations :(

Delete and move everything to your HDD and run it from there, it will create directories within where you run it.

I've tried this but every time I try to start it from the HDD it gives a system error and says: "The program can't start because cudart32_30_14.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I've tried looking for this dll file and can't find it anywhere on my computer.

This is of the top of my head but your missing file may well be in one of the hidden Windows folders.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming (or something similar down this path). This is normally hidden so you'll have to unhide it.

This is of the top of my head but your missing file may well be in one of the hidden Windows folders.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming (or something similar down this path). This is normally hidden so you'll have to unhide it.

I looked in the AppData folder for [email protected] and it actually had the "missing" file in there, and in fact the same AppData folder is on both C: and E: drives. Still gives me the same error. I am kind of at a loss.

Try deleting everything again, reboot, then download and extract to the HDD and run it from there. Redo all your configurations from scratch (just make sure if you have a password key to have it saved somewhere).

Try deleting everything again, reboot, then download and extract to the HDD and run it from there. Redo all your configurations from scratch (just make sure if you have a password key to have it saved somewhere).

Just tried this, but when I ran the installer, it still installed everything to the C: drive (my SSD). It's almost like I need to use the command prompt to tell the installer where to extract its files, I just do not know how to do this.

Check out this other link: Here

Someone asked a while back about getting things to Auto-Install on their (D:\) drive.

I provided some info on how to accomplish this in the link above. I would say make the changes in your registry.

Install Folding and see if it will Auto Default to your D-Drive. If it will install over on the D: then go back in to the Registry and Change it back to the C: so everything else will install as normal.

(Just an idea anyways.)

Check out this other link: Here

Someone asked a while back about getting things to Auto-Install on their (D:\) drive.

I provided some info on how to accomplish this in the link above. I would say make the changes in your registry.

Install Folding and see if it will Auto Default to your D-Drive. If it will install over on the D: then go back in to the Registry and Change it back to the C: so everything else will install as normal.

(Just an idea anyways.)

This definitely sounded like it was going to work but when I tried it (even rebooted and tried again) it still installed to be C: drive...

Bah.

Well this is how to Install the SMP Client Version.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideMPICH

You need to have at least a Dual Core Processor and Microsoft.NET Framwork v2.0

If you follow this guide it shows right in it they install their version of Folding on to the D: Drive.

Only other thing I could say is check the Folding Forums. I spent the last 10mins on Google.com trying to find the answer for you and I came up with nothing.

It also maybe possible to somehow modify / hack the .msi install file to auto install to your D: Drive.

But I am not sure to be honest.

Bah.

Well this is how to Install the SMP Client Version.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideMPICH

You need to have at least a Dual Core Processor and Microsoft.NET Framwork v2.0

If you follow this guide it shows right in it they install their version of Folding on to the D: Drive.

Only other thing I could say is check the Folding Forums. I spent the last 10mins on Google.com trying to find the answer for you and I came up with nothing.

It also maybe possible to somehow modify / hack the .msi install file to auto install to your D: Drive.

But I am not sure to be honest.

I appreciate your time Psywar, I too have searched and searched to no avail :dunno: I am currently running two SMP cores from my HDD like the guide you posted said to, but they are CPU only and I was hoping to be able to take advantage of the massive parallel processing power of the fermi core. It looks like I'll just have to wait. I wonder what would happen if I increased the time interval that [email protected] saves its computations? It currently saves every 15 minutes but maybe if I set it to the longest possible interval it would not take away to much life from my SSD.

Oh.. Give this a try.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide#ntoc3

This is to install the Console Vers. of the GPU3 [email protected]

This is a direct link to the Console Vers. Download: http://www.stanford.edu/~friedrim/[email protected]_Vista-631.zip

It looks to me like you just Unzip this file and place it where ever you would like.

Then you run it from cmd.exe

This might be what your looking for then.