How do you feel right... Now?

Miek

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed new brake pads and rotors and rotated the tires (which they didn't even do right...had to fix it when I got home). The only thing I couldn't do myself was the alignment.

Serves me right for waiting till the last minute to get stuff done I guess...but with the amount of time it actually took them I could have done it myself and actually been confident that it was done right. rolleyes.gif

mechanics get paid way to much for alignments, its so simple, but i quess the equipment has to pay for itself i ended up doing 3 of em today also half the time you find out there is nothing wrong with the alignment it something else making it a rough ride or pull.

Edited by camaro_dude15

Installed new brake pads and rotors and rotated the tires (which they didn't even do right...had to fix it when I got home). The only thing I couldn't do myself was the alignment.

Serves me right for waiting till the last minute to get stuff done I guess...but with the amount of time it actually took them I could have done it myself and actually been confident that it was done right. :rolleyes:

Ah I see, you said it would have been "free" yourself. Was this a warranty job or did you already buy the parts a while ago?

mechanics get paid way to much for alignments, its so simple, but i quess the equipment has to pay for itself i ended up doing 3 of em today also half the time you find out there is nothing wrong with the alignment it something else making it a rough ride or pull.

Agreed. The machines are pretty expensive. Mine was actually out of alignment though - it got screwed up at a prior dealer when trying to fix my power steering. The steering wheel was cocked about 15 degrees to the left when driving straight. :rolleyes:

Ah I see, you said it would have been "free" yourself. Was this a warranty job or did you already buy the parts a while ago?

Perishable (is that the right word?) parts aren't covered under warranty. I would have had to pay for the parts but I would have saved over $200 in labor and extra costs for "official" GM parts. Ceramic pads and new rotors at Advance Auto Parts are relatively cheap. I wasn't planning on having this done when I went in but after looking at the rotors and pads I wasn't comfortable driving to/from Florida without getting it fixed.

The worst part was that they screwed up my tire rotation - I ended up with mismatched tires front to back (they didn't go corner-to-corner like they were supposed to and left one of the original front tires on the front...). I did it myself when I got home after calling them to classy lady about the poor service.

I swear every single dealer is run by incompetent fools.

Edited by Waco

Agreed. The machines are pretty expensive. Mine was actually out of alignment though - it got screwed up at a prior dealer when trying to fix my power steering. The steering wheel was cocked about 15 degrees to the left when driving straight. rolleyes.gif

Perishable (is that the right word?) parts aren't covered under warranty. I would have had to pay for the parts but I would have saved over $200 in labor and extra costs for "official" GM parts. Ceramic pads and new rotors at Advance Auto Parts are relatively cheap. I wasn't planning on having this done when I went in but after looking at the rotors and pads I wasn't comfortable driving to/from Florida without getting it fixed.

The worst part was that they screwed up my tire rotation - I ended up with mismatched tires front to back (they didn't go corner-to-corner like they were supposed to and left one of the original front tires on the front...). I did it myself when I got home after calling them to classy lady about the poor service.

you need to be careful with ceramic pads, they dont produce as much stopping force as the metallics, but some cars are design to use ceramics which keeps stopping distances in spec, but most dont, i dont always put the same brand of pads in as the factory, but i always use the same materials.

do you have directional tires or even the rare directional rim?

yeah dealer shops are a joke, i will never work at one!

as for the steering wheel being cocked it is very easy for that to happen durring an alignment, the instructors say, we could do a perfect alignment, every thing went great except the steering wheel isnt straight, the customer will think you did the whole thing wrong, so when that happens durring class we start over.

also feeling great just woke up, on the first day of thanksgiving break

Edited by camaro_dude15

Agreed. The machines are pretty expensive. Mine was actually out of alignment though - it got screwed up at a prior dealer when trying to fix my power steering. The steering wheel was cocked about 15 degrees to the left when driving straight. :rolleyes:

Oh ya, I guess it wouldn't be covered, just was confused since I read it as you were only charged for labor not parts too.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have had time to do it yourself before said Florida trip and thus had the stealership do it?

Ashamed at myself for spending six hours trying to figure out why my mom's home computer wasn't connecting to the internet, despite having up to date drivers, other computers working on the network, et cetera, and then realizing that "Proxy Error" meant something, 30 seconds of Googling showed me that I just needed to change one registry value from "1" to "0"

What kind of geek am I?

Ashamed at myself for spending six hours trying to figure out why my mom's home computer wasn't connecting to the internet, despite having up to date drivers, other computers working on the network, et cetera, and then realizing that "Proxy Error" meant something, 30 seconds of Googling showed me that I just needed to change one registry value from "1" to "0"

What kind of geek am I?

But you fixed it in the end, thus, success.

So I'll say you're fine. :P

Edited by Miek