1/3 of students in their senior year caught cheating.

SpeedCrazy

I guess it would help to know what kind of test it was. If it were short answers or something like that then maybe. If it were multiple choice, no way in hell you could prove anything.

This.

Just because it's unlikely for students to have nearly identical answers on a multiple choice test doesn't mean it's not possible. It's not impossible to imagine how multiple students taking the same course would answer the same questions the same way...

I kind of find myself agreeing with kevin a little bit here. I don't encourage cheating, but I do feel it's okay under certain circumstances. Not everyone that goes to college actually knows what they want to be or what they will be, the goal with college is to get a piece of paper that makes you look more impressive to employers.

Now, I'm not saying that I think people should cheat, but I don't think it's entirely wrong for a Pediatrician to cheat on a test that doesn't have anything to do with their career choice. I think it's more important that they know what kind of medicine to prescribe than how to cut hair. Like I said, I don't encourage cheating, but I'd rather have a doctor that knows something than no doctor at all, this is the part that I agree with.

I'd have to somewhat agree.

The way I look at cheating is the person who cheats in most cases (which I will go into explanation later) ends up doing nothing but hurting themselves in the end. What a lot of college kids don't understand is that you don't go to college for the piece of paper you go there for the education. So if someone cheats there way through all there classes they will find out when there new boss tells or there new job them to go do something and they go blank and say if I only listen to what they said in blank classes and they end up loosing the job because the can't preform it.

Know going back to what DeathMineral kind of said in some cases cheating doesn't hurt anyone is kind of true in some tense.

I mean in college one thing I see is a lot of people who are really good at what there going into as a career like I'm going to college for a computer type of a degree and see plenty of students who get all As in there computer tech classes and are able to pass the regular academic classes however quite a lot of these same people aren't good at Math or English and really struggle in these classes. Does it make sense for some of these people just to give up and work in some poor paying job because they couldn't pass some English class that makes you write Shakespeare type papers or some Math class that teaches math at an extremely high level which will never be used in the field there going into no it doesn't so some of them cheat in those subjects to get the degree. In that situation more good then harm comes out and it doesn't hurt anyone they get good jobs and can preform them very well. Versus failing out and having talented people working in poor paying jobs who end up struggling because of a couple of classes.

I guess it would help to know what kind of test it was. If it were short answers or something like that then maybe. If it were multiple choice, no way in hell you could prove anything.

It would be interesting how he found out who cheated I mean if the tests were taken on the computer which is likely because most college professors probably wouldn't go through 400 tests by hand then it would be easy because most testing software made for the computer keeps track of things like how long the tester took to take the test how much time they spent on each question what choices they selected before clicking next. So it would be pretty easy for him to find out who cheated because it's like if someone memorizes all the answers there going to speed through the questions and get a very good grade in low amount of time. Or if there was a couple of mistakes on the answer sheet and the same 200 people got wrong who also took the test in a really short amount of time then you can see a pattern.

But if it was a written test pen paper no ones keeping track of the time I don't see how he could do it unless of course he found a pattern like 200 people getting the same 2-3 answers wrong.

Edited by fire_storm

why dose everyone assume that if you cheated you learned nothing ? maybe the cheaters went from a B to a A- . And like the other poster said they just needed a extra week to get the material down . why should they have to retake the course

cheating is risk taking , everyone dose it . saying you never cheated lied or stole in your life is ridiculous. ya that means all the ppl in here who said that , I'm talking to you. I prob lied 5 times yesterday at least.

you never .....

told your woman she looked good when you thought she didnt ?

found $20 on the ground and just put it in ur pocket ?

recived a 69 on a test and when you were asked you said 70 ?

created a resume that said you worked well with others and alone ?

and any of the other millions of lies we tell every day

Why am I arguing morality with someone who obviously has none? :dunno: And as for the 'I just needed more time' argument: 99% of the people who use that had plenty of opportunities to study before the test or whatever it was. They probably just wasted those oppurtunities partying or just in general procrastinating. The people who passed just didn't waste those opportunities. But if you genuinely needed more time, you probably should make a new career choice.

And I for one see a rather large difference between telling someone that they are more beautiful than they are and cheating on a test.

I kind of find myself agreeing with kevin a little bit here. I don't encourage cheating, but I do feel it's okay under certain circumstances. Not everyone that goes to college actually knows what they want to be or what they will be, the goal with college is to get a piece of paper that makes you look more impressive to employers.

Now, I'm not saying that I think people should cheat, but I don't think it's entirely wrong for a Pediatrician to cheat on a test that doesn't have anything to do with their career choice. I think it's more important that they know what kind of medicine to prescribe than how to cut hair. Like I said, I don't encourage cheating, but I'd rather have a doctor that knows something than no doctor at all, this is the part that I agree with.

Exactly what I was going to say, for instance there are just some classes that are required for you to take that have nothing to do with what your major is and the subject matter never will be applied to what you'll be doing for a living.

Then there's the "no learning" aspect of cheating, but think about those who crammed (aka still worked hard the moral way) for the test and still got a good grade....but a week later it's as if they never read the stuff.

If the setup of said cheating is rather elaborate, than some may learn alot in the process. The thrilling experience will help them retain some of the things, or the person could have already really known their stuff but just wanted to have their grade super secure.

Disclaimer: You shouldn't cheat kids....

Why am I arguing morality with someone who obviously has none? :dunno: And as for the 'I just needed more time' argument: 99% of the people who use that had plenty of opportunities to study before the test or whatever it was. They probably just wasted those oppurtunities partying or just in general procrastinating. The people who passed just didn't waste those opportunities. But if you genuinely needed more time, you probably should make a new career choice.

And I for one see a rather large difference between telling someone that they are more beautiful than they are and cheating on a test.

It's a dog eat dog world, the cunning win, the righteous *usually* fail and if they don't, 9/10 the crafty ones get the better job, better pay, better bone to chew on. I'm not saying it's right but you can't honestly say that hard work can beat something as silly as just knowing someone in a particular business. You have to be one step ahead of the losers (not the hardworkers, the cheaters) and 1up them, aka know your stuff and succeed. Sometimes you may have to manipulate the situation so that you may build up your social network while also building up your academic wall of achievements.

Only the true dummies get caught!

Disclaimer: Everything in moderation!!... :evilgrin:

do hippys matter ?

do hippys matter ?

A cheap shot that doesn't make your side of the argument look any better.

Moral decay. Rome was an empire that succumbed to this. The more we look away from it the further we slide. Next you'll make the argument that stealing is just a redisposition of wealth to those enterprising enough to take what they want. I suppose you already have as cheating is stealing much of the time.

I now know much more about you than I wish I did. Nothing personal but I wouldn't trade or deal with you in the market place forum no matter how good the deal or how good the money.

A cheap shot that doesn't make your side of the argument look any better.

Moral decay. Rome was an empire that succumbed to this. The more we look away from it the further we slide. Next you'll make the argument that stealing is just a redisposition of wealth to those enterprising enough to take what they want. I suppose you already have as cheating is stealing much of the time.

I now know much more about you than I wish I did. Nothing personal but I wouldn't trade or deal with you in the market place forum no matter how good the deal or how good the money.

I hope your opinion hasn't changed about me :(

I'm just a get even kinda guy

I hope your opinion hasn't changed about me :(

I'm just a get even kinda guy

No it won't change you don't need to worry. I'm not a very nice guy sometimes so my own hypocricy knows few bounds. This topic just strikes a chord.

This topic just strikes a chord.

As it should.

The real problem is not that people cheat - it's that they can get away with it on something as high level as a college course. I wouldn't hesitate one nanosecond to report one of my students to my advisor if I was sure they were cheating. I've had to deal with far too many fellow students who had cheated their way through school who couldn't actually do anything without outside help. I'm constantly shocked at the level of cheating that just gets...swept under the rug or ignored...even at a high-ranking college. :(

Too many really are just after that piece of paper...

EDIT: This is Waco - on BluePanda's laptop and forgot who I was posting as. :P

Edited by BluePanda

As it should.

The real problem is not that people cheat - it's that they can get away with it on something as high level as a college course. I wouldn't hesitate one nanosecond to report one of my students to my advisor if I was sure they were cheating. I've had to deal with far too many fellow students who had cheated their way through school who couldn't actually do anything without outside help. I'm constantly shocked at the level of cheating that just gets...swept under the rug or ignored...even at a high-ranking college. :(

Too many really are just after that piece of paper...

EDIT: This is Waco - on BluePanda's laptop and forgot who I was posting as. :P

President Bush cheated out Al Gore on the 2000 presidency, that's the highest level in America. There wasn't much outrage.