1/3 of students in their senior year caught cheating.

SpeedCrazy

Maybe university courses are designed to create a better world where people don't lie, cheat, and steal to get what they want. Perhaps if moral standards applied throughout the workforce then maybe we wouldn't be so disgusted when we look at all of our politicians and the CEO's of the largest companies. Maybe you're content with these kinds of people running your country, but I'm not.

I am not ok with it at all but better to make them ready for whats out there then to teach them to lose at the hands of men who will do what it takes.

dont think cause i am arguing for the cheaters that i like it one bit, but would it be better if the schools produced even more unemployed persons ?

If there not ready to lie steal and cheat then there not ready for the work world.
This seems to be working wonderfully for us at the moment.

But would it be better if the schools produced even more unemployed persons ?
In this scenario completely and absolutely yes.

This seems to be working wonderfully for us at the moment.

In this scenario completely and absolutely yes.

its easy to say "yes" but when we run out of doctors lawyers and garbage men you might sing a new tune.

I would like to know how they used statistics to determine exactly who cheated.

I would guess that they figured out how the people who cheated answered for each question, and then they used software to find the people who answered in a similar fashion. I think I remember reading about something like this when I took my stats class.

This is dumb . in the work world the boss dosent care how you got the answer , ur not paid to do your homework , your paid to have the answer. get it however you can and beat the other guy. the only thing this teaches them is that these teachers are petty and dont like that they were beat so easily by so many .

if all the answers are posted online and you can remember then long enough to ace the test ur the winner.

I would go as far as saying a boss would like it better knowing there employee could find any answer faster then anyone rather then someone who had a bunch memorized but didnt know where to find the rest of the answers as fast.

Maybe that works if you have a job that doesn't require you to use your brain. But there are a lot of jobs out there that require you to actually know things to do them. For example, would you want the guy that designed the airplane that you are flying in to have cheated his way through college and never actually learned anything? It's kind of hard to cheat when there is nothing for you to cheat off of.

its easy to say "yes" but when we run out of doctors lawyers and garbage men you might sing a new tune.

What would be the difference between a doctor who cheated his way though med school and someone who just pretends to be a doctor? Pretty much just a piece of paper on the wall.

By the way if society ran out of lawyers I think we could all agree that the world would be a better place. :biggrin:

I would guess that they figured out how the people who cheated answered for each question, and then they used software to find the people who answered in a similar fashion. I think I remember reading about something like this when I took my stats class.

Maybe that works if you have a job that doesn't require you to use your brain. But there are a lot of jobs out there that require you to actually know things to do them. For example, would you want the guy that designed the airplane that you are flying in to have cheated his way through college and never actually learned anything? It's kind of hard to cheat when there is nothing for you to cheat off of.

What would be the difference between a doctor who cheated his way though med school and someone who just pretends to be a doctor? Pretty much just a piece of paper on the wall.

By the way if society ran out of lawyers I think we could all agree that the world would be a better place. :biggrin:

no way can your doctor can know everything . if i have to choose i want the doctor who will find the right answer for me not just depend on what he learned 20 years ago .

you really want the doctor who just dosent feel right with taking someone elses ideas on how to save you ?

also i didnt say anything about wanting everyone to cheat there way through everything . i said create new better, and FASTER ways of coming up with the right answer.

no way can your doctor can know everything . if i have to choose i want the doctor who will find the right answer for me not just depend on what he learned 20 years ago .

you really want the doctor who just dosent feel right with taking someone elses ideas on how to save you ?

also i didnt say anything about wanting everyone to cheat there way through everything . i said create new better, and FASTER ways of coming up with the right answer.

What about trauma surgeons? They don't exactly have time to look up how to fix a gunshot wound. They have to know how to do something, and if they don't know or haven't encountered something before, they have to be able to figure out what to do. Which past experience cheating would not help in any way.

Cheating is claiming someone else's work as your own. Learning something is not stealing the idea from someone else. The main thing that a college education teaches you is how to think and how to apply what you learned to the real world. Cheating only teaches you how to steal someone else's work.

Your initial argument would be valid if the real world was like a exam of what you were supposed to have learned. But the real world is the application of what you were supposed to have learned. You can't apply something if never knew it in the first place.

Edited by TheHippi

I kind of find myself agreeing with kevin a little bit here. I don't encourage cheating, but I do feel it's okay under certain circumstances. Not everyone that goes to college actually knows what they want to be or what they will be, the goal with college is to get a piece of paper that makes you look more impressive to employers.

Now, I'm not saying that I think people should cheat, but I don't think it's entirely wrong for a Pediatrician to cheat on a test that doesn't have anything to do with their career choice. I think it's more important that they know what kind of medicine to prescribe than how to cut hair. Like I said, I don't encourage cheating, but I'd rather have a doctor that knows something than no doctor at all, this is the part that I agree with.

I guess it would help to know what kind of test it was. If it were short answers or something like that then maybe. If it were multiple choice, no way in hell you could prove anything.

lol...

If you're paying money, hard earned money, for a class, why the hell would you cheat at it, got that keep the $80-$100 per credit value and use it for something good, instead of . your future and money away.

I'm in College right now... and I mean really, if you're going to cheat, you might as well not even go, it's a waste..

That 2nd guy is a douche too, I'd bet he's also one of the 200 cheaters, while the first guy wasn't, sucks that they have to punish everyone, but it has to be done :(

edit: scary note, 99% probability says that those 200 students will out-breed the moral 400 in stride, which is just frustrating as hell...

Edited by Munkypoo7

there's quite a bit of cheating going on in my school too; there seems to be this element among the students that just wants to get the diploma or gpa no "matter what" (sadly, most often among athletes)....and whoever said it first, :withstupid: i'd be really bummed out to find out i was on the operating table of the doctor who cheated his way thru medical school...