Keep CF 5870's or get SLI GTX 580's??!!! HELP!

E13thirty7

Okay, i was just on PCperspective.com and they have an article posted on nvidia's new GTX 580 in SLI, it showed full benchmarks and tests against all the top of the line cards out right now, and to be completely honest, i was blown away with its performance, it almost seemed unreal at times,lol. In SLI, the 580 raped games like BFBC2 and Metro 2033, on real full max settings too, DX11, 1900x1200, AA's etc....and the GTX 580 in SLI brushed aside Metro 2033 like it was a puny insect!lol.

Here's where im borderline losing my mind! Ive been pacing aound my room, twittling my thumbs, deciding if i should sell my still new two 5870s to put towards a nice pair of SLI GTX 580s.....ive had my 5870s for almost 3 months now, give or take, but more like 2 1/2 months, im very happy with them, i truly am, but ATI's driver support and Crossfire scaling worries me, its hard to find someone saying something good about the 5xxx series anymore, its like theyre dinosaurs now,lol. Dont get me wrong, i love my 5870s, i do, in crossfire they trump most games, by most i mean 90% of them, they annhialate anything thats in there way, but times are changing and so are graphics, and the demand is getting higher. My 5870s are still brand new, fresh out of the box practically, but with what ive seen with the 580's in SLI i was amazed!

I dont know what to do, im losing my mind, my sanity is trickling away little by little the more i think about it.....should i hold onto my 2 5870s for just a little while longer, let them break in a little more, or sell them and put the money towards 2 GTX 580s??? Or even maybe wait for the 6970s to come out and see how it scales up then and benches against the 580?....what do i do, i went from a change of heart in a matter of a few minutes!lol......PLZ HELP!!! :fp::(:-/ :-/ :doh: :doh: :doh:

Personally, I would wait! The scaling on the 6870's is nothing short of amazing as well! I have to believe that this trend will continue to the 6900 series! As well as the fact that I would bet my life that the 6900 series will use less power and run cooler than the GTX 580. When it comes to power and heat, ATI dominates! While the Nvidia has taken a step in the right direction with power and heat in the 580, both are still a little high for my liking!

Edited by SpeedwayNative

Save your money. Upgrading everytime something new comes out will only make you broke (unless you're rich as hell and/or money is no issue to you, for some reason).

In any case, I see upgrading constantly as an inefficient use of funds. I try to upgrade somewhere in between every other generation to every 3rd generation. So I typically upgrade my machine every 2 or so years. And try to get my money's worth out of my parts. =P

So I say keep the 5870s, they'll still dominate in most games (albeit not the highest fps, but still great), and if you're happy with their performance, why upgrade?

Personally, I would wait! The scaling on the 6870's is nothing short of amazing as well! I have to believe that this trend will continue to the 6900 series! As well as the fact that I would bet my life that the 6900 series will use less power and run cooler than the GTX 580. When it comes to power and heat, ATI dominates! While the Nvidia has taken a step in the right direction with power and heat in the 580, both are still a little high for my liking!

its just SLI scales soooo much better than crossfire, with ATI one card transition to 2 is maybe a boost of 30%, with nvidia, one card to two is like 75%!!!! Im a dual card guy, always have been.....and with the benchmarks i saw for the 580 in SLI i was shocked at how amazing they ran!.....by summer next year for sure though ill either have 2x 6970s or 2x 580s.....after i see them go head to head, then ill decide.

$180?.....lol. IF i do ever sell them, which i will in a few months, i wont go any lower than 250.....sorry.

In a few month, people will be able to get them new for $210. You can get them for $269.99 with a $30 MIR now. On Black Friday, I'm sure they'll have more specials, especially if/when the Cayman cards come out.

its just SLI scales soooo much better than crossfire, with ATI one card transition to 2 is maybe a boost of 30%, with nvidia, one card to two is like 75%!!!!

That's completely untrue...

maybe the numbers are a little innaccurate, but the fact still remains that SLI scales better than Crossfire in many cases.......

By a few percent. :lol:

Anyway - if you really want to upgrade from dual 5870s to dual 580s...just send me the money. You'll get the same effect in the end. :cheers:

Edited by Waco

$180?.....lol. IF i do ever sell them, which i will in a few months, i wont go any lower than 250.....sorry.

With combined coupons and MIR's I was able to put together this:

10% off any video card with this: EMCZZYR24

Sapphire 5870 - 10% - 30 MIR +3 shipping (and tax for NJ people like me :glare:) . $243!!!

2 for $530 (not as good of a deal as just getting one :P )

so yeah, $243 for a brand new 5870, and while I was undervaluing it a tad (since I'd switch to one now if I could get oen for $180). I wasn't selling you too short.

Anything more than $210 used would be too much