Do you think the 5870 is still an awesome card?

E13thirty7

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want to upgrade then go dual 6970's but you dont need to . Two 5970's would also be a waste since three 5870's beat them.

you really think so? 3 5870 would beat 2 5970s?....ehhh, thats a close one, nice matchup though,lol. i can tell u this much though, by late spring early summer next year i will either have 2x 6970s/2x 5970s/ or 2x GTX 480s.....id like to try triple crossfire but i heard 3-way doesnt scale as well. With the new 6xxx series i wanna see how well crossfire scales against SLI, cause SLI wins handsdown when it comes to multiple card setups, as with the drivers, nvidias drivers are better than ATi's.....dont get it,lol.

You mean like running quadfire ? Scaling in quad sucks .

yeah, i heard that after 3x CF, video cards actually decrease in performance.......right now i have my dream computer, my video cards run every game i play on full max, every game, minus crisis and metro, but who the hell cares? they still run about 75% full max and its still playable for me, it doesnt effect gameplay, people pay too much attention to the little differences in performance too much, "oh i got 60 fps!", "oh yeah?, i got 62 fps!"....epeen overkill!lol. In your honest opinion though, no fanboyism, im planning on upgrading in a number of months from now, and i want to have either a beast crossfire or SLI setup, i love ATI, but there drivers suck and there CF scaling isnt all that great, though theyve improved i must say.......the setup id like to have is either 2x 6970 CF/ 2x 5970/ or 2x GTX 480/580 SLI.....SLI is proven to scale better in SLI, from one card to two performance can boost up to 70%, and crossfire a mere 30 or so %.....id love to stick with ATI but how good is nvidia's GTX 480, and, how good is it in SLI, compared to the 5970 and 5970 in quad? I heard nvidia cards run really hot, power drain, OC horribly, and fans are terrible.......is this true with nvidia? what setup would u recommend? 2x 6970? 2x 5970? or 2x GTX 480/580??? what would tear games up more?

Edited by E13thirty7

Do you think its still an amazing card? I have 2 in CF and with all the 6xxx series talk its been making me wonder about my 5870s...am i just being paranoid?lol.

I have always thought that the right time to upgrade is when something no longer handles your needs, eg you have to start dropping resolution or quality settings to get playable frame rates etc in your new game. Unless of course you have tons of money in which case bragging rights is as good a reason as any to get the latest.

I have always thought that the right time to upgrade is when something no longer handles your needs, eg you have to start dropping resolution or quality settings to get playable frame rates etc in your new game. Unless of course you have tons of money in which case bragging rights is as good a reason as any to get the latest.

not to sound cocky but no, money isnt a real huge issue, saving up a paycheck for a week or 2 is fine with me,lol. But no, my 5870s run fine, they smash every game on full max, its just i know games are getting more demanding, for god's sake, look up the game, "Rage", thats coming out mid next year, the graphics are unreal, when i first saw screenshots in gameinformer magazine i thought they were real pictures!lol....im thinking down the road from now, but for sure, by summer next year i will probably have either 2 6970s or 2 GTX 580s, wanna see them go head to head first before i decide.