Sign in to follow this  
Shadowtroop

help configuring my LED TV

hey guys i just recently bought myself a 42 inch Panasonic Viera LED, and i love it, games on my 360/ps3 are amazing, but i want to use it as my pc monitor. the thing is that it looks like poo.

i bought myself a DVI/HDMI cable because my 5970 has no HDMI out. resolution is set to 1920x1080 but the thing is that i have borders all around the screen. about half an inch all around and i think its making my picture warped. I see alot of ugly unsharp text etc.

any tips on how to set it up? should i have use the mini display port instead?

Are you sitting up close to it like a normal PC monitor and saying it looks like crap or are you sitting at least 5 feet away? I ask this because if you are trying to use it like a normal PC monitor, you just took a resolution that is meant to be used on a 22" monitor and just about doubled the size. Guess what happens when you do that.

Edited by TheHippi

i didn't know panasonic made a LED version of the 42" i have the same tv but the LCD version. anyways i thought i would report that i don't have any issues with a border. the only thing i can suggest is checking the manual and second make sure you don't have the screen set to fit, stretch, etc, because it may do it wrong.

on a side note tvs are very good pc monitors even though my monitor is IPS and the tv is also i can see a big difference.

Edited by hornybluecow

i didn't know panasonic made a LED version of the 42" i have the same tv but the LCD version. anyways i thought i would report that i don't have any issues with a border. the only thing i can suggest is checking the manual and second make sure you don't have the screen set to fit, stretch, etc, because it may do it wrong.

:withstupid: Try setting the resolution manually. HDTV's sometimes have a hard time picking the right resolution to display a source at. My Samsung monitor refuses to think that a 1080p signal over VGA from my xbox isn't in fact 1680x1050, and unfortunately, I can't do it manually because they didn't put the option in. :dunno:

ok so i checked the manual and if i were to use a vga cable i could use the PC channel in my tv but that does not allow a res of 1920x1080. and the PC channel is the only one that allows certain settings like clock phase and manual resolutiion. am i fudged?

did you check the "format" button? other than that hdmi to hdmi or hdmi to dvi would produce 1080p which is the rez you are going for. also sometimes you'll find the tv is not native 1080 or its 16:10 not 16:9 that stuff to look into.

ok so i checked the manual and if i were to use a vga cable i could use the PC channel in my tv but that does not allow a res of 1920x1080. and the PC channel is the only one that allows certain settings like clock phase and manual resolutiion. am i fudged?

Yeah, it looks like that TV doesn't like VGA for some reason. Try playing around with the aspect adjustment settings under picture. The HD size setting looks like it might hold some promise.

Yeah, it looks like that TV doesn't like VGA for some reason. Try playing around with the aspect adjustment settings under picture. The HD size setting looks like it might hold some promise.

Just bought me a LG Infinia 42" LED-LCD 120hz. Love it so far. I'll try hookin it to my pc shortly and see what the outcome will be.