GTX 580!

Krieg1337

I think the thing to draw from all this is simple:

Tesselation is good...when used intelligently. Turning a flat surface into thousands/millions/billions of polygons does nothing to add visual quality.

This is no different than using any other part of the DirectX API intelligently - there are *very* simple things you can do in terms of rendering that will absolutely murder any video card on the market without actually making a real visual difference.

Fermi is without a doubt more equipped in terms of tessellation performance - though this is only really helpful when tessellation is pushed to levels that visually make no difference (really? Single pixel triangles? lol). At moderate levels of tessellation both AMD and nVidia cards are pretty competitive.

A similar comparison in favor of AMD would be some benchmark/game that uses next to no complex shader functions and gobs of simple shaders - by the nature of the architecture the AMD card will be far faster.

All designs are tradeoffs. AMD traded off tessellation performance for more overall performance in common workloads. nVidia built a big GPGPU chip that happens to excel at rendering 3D games. This is GOOD though - if each company followed the same design models we'd never see interesting designs and software certainly wouldn't be written to take advantage of them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

urrgh.. i noticed that on newegg you can get a coupon to download HAWX2 free.. can anyone pick up a few of those and email me a code? pretty pleeeeze! :cry:

Edited by SenitaL

AKA screw the paying customer - make the pirates happy. :P

I'm all for fair use. Let me buy a game and then limit how many times I can install it on my machine. Not quite! The amount of times I install games is ridiculous and I always have to find a solution to the problem one way or another, Even with Legitimate keys! It sucks!

I'm all for fair use. Let me buy a game and then limit how many times I can install it on my machine. Not quite! The amount of times I install games is ridiculous and I always have to find a solution to the problem one way or another, Even with Legitimate keys! It sucks!

Waco here -

I tend to buy games I like and then download a non-gimped copy to play with. I am all for compensating developers for their hard work but I absolutely can't stand the ridiculous DRM that accompanies so many games these days. Hell, it was bad 10 years ago, it's only worse now. :/

Waco here -

I tend to buy games I like and then download a non-gimped copy to play with. I am all for compensating developers for their hard work but I absolutely can't stand the ridiculous DRM that accompanies so many games these days. Hell, it was bad 10 years ago, it's only worse now. :/

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: I've been doing this for years, exception, steam games :P (which is DRM but atleast not annoying DRM)