Amd Athlon 64-bit Cpu's Explained

Bosco

How would you rate this article? (10 being the best)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this article? (10 being the best)

Ok...I hate to do this.. (great article by the way...)

I have not done any research on the 64's because I am going to wait for a while...

but you mentioned in one paragraph of the article the Opteron

The Opteron and 64 FX-xx differ in that the Opteron has three HyperTransport links

my qustion is...what is the Opteron? I'm quite the 64 bit noob..sorry...

I looked over on AMD.com...but never found a direct answer...

Probably should have included information about the Opteron in the article... may go back and make a rev 2 later on....

Hope this info helps:

The AMD Opteron processor 100 Series is for use in one-way servers and workstations. One-way servers are commonly used by Internet and application service providers (ISPs/ASPs), eBusiness and data center customers for edge-of-the-network workloads such as DNS servers, DHCP servers, security encryption as well as in network attached storage (NAS) and storage area network (SAN) devices. One-way workstations are commonly used by CAD, architectural, and DCC professionals to create solid models, diagrams, or digital effects
The AMD Opteron processor Model 248 is for use in 2-way servers or workstations. Enterprise workloads typically benefiting from 2-way server processing power include large databases, business processing (ERP, CRM, SCM), business intelligence, as well as other IT infrastructure applications including heavy-duty Web serving and messaging. Workstation applications that take advantage of the performance of the AMD Opteron processor include digital content creation, mechanical and electrical design, financial analysis, and 3-D modeling.
The AMD Opteron processor 800 Series is for use in up to 8-way servers. Enterprise workloads typically benefiting from 4-way and 8-way server processing power include large, mission critical databases, business processing (ERP, CRM, SCM), business intelligence, as well as other IT infrastructure applications including heavy-duty Web serving and messaging.

Basically the way to figure out the Opteron is to look at the 3 digit number. If it is 1xx it's for 1 CPU servers, 2xx for dual CPU servers, and 8xxx for 4-8 cpu servers. Opteron is the server version of the AMD64.

Edited by d3bruts1d

I gave it an 8, thou I really wanted a 7.5 for some reason. Anyways, d3, the article is great, but the graph is missing some stuff, I didnt like that...lol

Also the lack of the Opetron info, but besides that it was a great read!

Also the lack of the Opetron info, but besides that it was a great read!

End users aren't going to be asking about buying the Opteron. It's primary focus is igh end servers. Focus of this is what people who view OCC will be buying. :P