Digital Camcorder

Psywar

I am in the Market for a Digital Camcorder.

Don't really want one that uses MiniDVDs.

Something that supports SDCards or has a Built in HDD.

Needs to be easy to transfer the Data/Video to my Laptop/PC.

I would prefer it already pre-converts the Video to an AVI or MPEG format.

I do not want to have to convert the files to a specific format to use them on my PC.

I am looking for something that will work pretty decent in Low-Light Conditions.

I will be using it for making home movies and then editing them using Adobe After Effects.

Not too sure on a Price Range. Right not I am not too concerned about Price I am looking for something that will work really good for an Amateur Home Movie Maker.

I have a general Idea on what a good camera is. I spent a few hours the other day reading about what too look for when buying a camera.

I am kind of hoping some of you have a great camera or know of a great camera I should take a look at.

I would eventually like to try and do HD Videos as well. So that is something else I would like it to be capable of doing.

Thanks for any help!

I did my research almost 2 years ago, and ended up getting the Sony HDR-SR11 60GB for a special local deal under $1k with a lot of accessories, lenses, tripod, etc. There are better digital camcorders out these days for sure, but it's still an exceptional camcorder. Unless you're willing to spend money in the multiple thousands, the $800 - $1500 range will be a sweet spot depending on what you're looking for.

I would make a list of what's important from most to least, and write down the top 3 camcorders in that area. Since a digital camcorder is a big investment, take your time!

Video Quality: Almost all digital cameras will look bad in poor lighting. What you want to look for is how well it records in adequate lighting. If you start getting into filming in low light conditions, you'll want to carry lights with you, so don't base too much off of how camcorders record in low lights, they'll all look pretty bad.

Autofocus: Usually not a big deal, but most people just like to point and shoot. It really depends on the image sensor (with will also come into play with Stabilization Control), but if you like to manually focus most of the time and plan where your shots are going to be, then you don't need it.

Size: Usually not a factor if you're going to be filming from a tripod. The bigger and heavier the camera, the tougher it will be to film by hand, and it'll be more cumbersome to carry around.

Stabilization Control: Since most people will film by holding the camcorder rather than using a tripod, then editing shaky bits later, stabilization control is important only if you're going to film by hand most of the time.

Sound: You get some decend sound with the higher end digital camcorders, but if you want movie quality, you'll invest in additional mics and recorders, which you'll use to edit in later. Depends on how "professional" you want to get. Most have Digital 5.1 Surround these days that are adequate.

Battery Life: Always invest in a bigger battery. I have a Lithium Ion 10 hour battery, which actually gives you 5 hours in real-time if you're recording in 1080 resolutions. The ones that come stock with the digital camcorders will give you 1-2 hours.

Disk Space: Usually the most important part, and 60GB's HDD hasn't been an issue at all. I always film in 1080, and 60GB's gives you close to 5 hours worth of HD recording. That's 2 very long movies! You really don't need much more than that.

Video Conversion: I'm not sure how it is now, but all digital camcorders record in AVCHD. It's really better to find your own software to convert them, rather than having the camcorder software do it, but I'm sure there are some digital camcorders that have what you're looking for.

Anyways, what will you be filming?

Thanks for that bit of info!

Well right now my brother and I have just been filming us running around the yard (learning how to do a teleporting or jumper effect) and end up in another spot.

I am also huge in to lightsaber battles so I will be attempting to do one of these as well.

My brother is a big Matrix fan, so I am sure we will have some gun fights and what not.

Most of it will be action-ish type stuff.

Not really 100% sure right now my main goal is to just learn how to edit film n such right now.

What do you use to convert the video?

I have been using my HTC Evo to make the movie clips. They play perfect in the .3gp format it makes them in.

When I convert it to .avi though so I can use it in AAE, it gets all laggy looking.

Thanks for that bit of info!

Well right now my brother and I have just been filming us running around the yard (learning how to do a teleporting or jumper effect) and end up in another spot.

I am also huge in to lightsaber battles so I will be attempting to do one of these as well.

My brother is a big Matrix fan, so I am sure we will have some gun fights and what not.

Most of it will be action-ish type stuff.

Not really 100% sure right now my main goal is to just learn how to edit film n such right now.

What do you use to convert the video?

I have been using my HTC Evo to make the movie clips. They play perfect in the .3gp format it makes them in.

When I convert it to .avi though so I can use it in AAE, it gets all laggy looking.

Well, almost any digital camcorder will do what you're wanting with outdoor lighting. Autofocus will be a biggie since you'll be doing a lot of action sequences. The Sony HDR-SR11 that I bought comes with conversion software, but I use PowerDirector 8 Ultra for editing and converting. It's pretty good for what I use it for, but the really good ones cost in the hundreds - unless you're going to be a professional, no need to use those. The trick is not to convert multiple times, that affects the finished product. You want to edit it in the original format, then when you're all done, convert it to what you want.

I have the Sony HDR-SR11 and use Sony Vegas for editing. It doesn't need any converting (i can drag and drop the raw files from the recorder directly into Vegas) and it allows me to edit in 1080p!

Hrmm..

What do you guys think of the

Panasonic HDC-TM700?

I was also looking at the Sony HDR-XR150 120GB.

I did not look for a cheaper price on the HDR-SR11 so I have not fully looked in to it yet.

That Amazon link had it listed at 2000.00

Which was well above what I was planning on spending lol!

I will reply back later tonight or tomorrow. I have to head off to bed for now. Work kicked my butt today.

Oh this will sound dumb, but should I assume all digital cameras will have the screw setting on the bottom for Tri-Pod support?

They never show the image of any of the bottoms of the cameras I have looked it.

Hrmm..

What do you guys think of the

Panasonic HDC-TM700?

I was also looking at the Sony HDR-XR150 120GB.

I did not look for a cheaper price on the HDR-SR11 so I have not fully looked in to it yet.

That Amazon link had it listed at 2000.00

Which was well above what I was planning on spending lol!

I will reply back later tonight or tomorrow. I have to head off to bed for now. Work kicked my butt today.

Oh this will sound dumb, but should I assume all digital cameras will have the screw setting on the bottom for Tri-Pod support?

They never show the image of any of the bottoms of the cameras I have looked it.

The Panasonic HDC-TM700 doesn't look too bad. CNET states:

The good: Very good low-light video quality; full set of manual features; 1080/60p recording option.

The bad: Smallish, low-resolution LCD; coarse EVF; some edge artifacts in video; middling still photo quality.

The bottom line: The flash-based Panasonic HDC-TM700 and its hard-disk sibling, the HDC-HS700, stand out for their low-light video quality and broad set of manual controls. However, while the TM700 is very attractively priced for its class, the HS700 is not, and not worth the price premium unless you absolutely need the hard disk

As long as you don't mind the cons, it's a good choice. One note, a reviewer from Amazon said the audio from the fan on the side is audible, thus could be another con.

The Sony HDR-XR150 isn't a bad choice, either. I read some not-too-good video quality issues, but it also doesn't have a microphone jack.

Yeah, the HDR-SR11 is no longer in production, which is probably why it's so expensive.

When I'm searching for a product, I usually read professional reviews, then user reviews. The professional reviews you get a sense of what each feature gives it an advantage, and user reviews give you a sense of usability and the most annoying factor indicator.

I think all "good" digital cameras will have a screw at the bottom for tripod use. I never really thought about that, it's an industry standard.

Awesome!

Thanks again for all the help. I am going to do a bit more searching when I get home from work today.

I am about 90% certain though I am going to end up with that Panasonic Camcorder though. At least unless something really jumps out at me haha!

On the editing software, if you are a student (hs or uni) you can get 80% off all adobe products. Thats the only way i do any of my multimedia work.

I looked at a camcorder for a while but then chucked it. They cost too much to justify the amount of use i would give them.

Hello Psywar

My father got this one (XR150).

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-100225771-sony-handycam-xr150-hdd-120gb-filma-1920x1080-nuevo-gtia-_JM

Its very good.

It can make 4 tipe of videos

2 Different quality for 1920x1080 (Full HD)

2 Different quality for 1440x900 (or something like that)

Sound is good (im not sure what are you expecting)

I havent seen yet much difference on the quality I hope when my father come from trip I could watch amazing video of snow mountains!!! with great quality

About file size I can give you a nice help

I record to the computer screen (without moving the camera) with quality 1, 2, 3 and 4 (from worst to best) 30 Seconds and the (aproximated) results are:

1 - 25 Mb

2 - 43Mb

3 - 67Mb

4 - 80Mb+

Recording computer screen I havent really noted almost ANY difference on the quality but I think on great light conditions and filiming like a natural forest or something like that you will note. Also probably when you make Zoom-In and/or Zoom-Out. But if you watch on a FullHD TV you will note of course.

I hope it helped

EDIT: and yes it have Tripod screw

Edited by loco_frags