80 Gig For 19.99

CheeseMan42

okay, maxtor drives as you used to know them are gone.

Maxtor's marketing department stayed on, quantum is making the drives. Keep in mind quantum makes the FASTEST drives for servers (15k, u320/fiber, 16mb cache). Also those drives are meant to LAST... I've had my 15k monsters for close to 2 years, they have at most 72 hours of down time since then, and not one hickup. WD got out of the enterpise server game cuz they couldn't hang with Quantum. IBM/Hitachi is out of that game too. Fujitsu is in the game but they should quit... crap drives. Samsung strugles to stay alive, Seagate is the only one that can keep up the volume with Quantum/Maxtor while keeping the quality up.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a WD, i like it alot, I have a maxtor, i dont like it as much. Main reason for this is that the maxtor i have doesnt have the jumper picture thing on top and it pisses me off going from slave to master, i dont even think it has a cable select. Then again my maxtor is more than 3 years old. Its 60gb and thats all i know (came with an hp). I've never dealt with newer maxtors but ive been getting WD drives for myself and every customer ive built a comp for, none of them have had any problems with them.

The Maxtor in this computer (mentioning its name would only bring up slurs and unneeded remarks) hasn't been too friendly. It was making some squealing noises. Never happened with my Seagate drive (which is much older that this Maxtor)

Edited by InvaderTrax

This may sound byast but MAXTOR = BAD!!!! EVIL!!! (I've had WAYY to many bad experiences with them...) if what bigred said is right (probaly is) maxtor sould really make some serious effort as not to be seen as the old maxtor...

I have 4 Maxtor hard drives (had a fifth a long time ago), and I have never had a problem with them. From what I see they are fast and reliable.

I also like my Western Digital drives, but they are not as fast as my Maxtor drives. They are only ATA100 while the Maxtors are ATA133. There is only a slight difference in benchmarks, but for everyday use I can't tell the difference.

Maxtor drives:

10GB ATA100 5400 rpm

30GB ATA133 7200 rpm

2 x 40GB ATA133 7200 rpm

Western Digital drives:

60GB ATA100 7200 rpm

80BG ATA100 7200 rpm

Well, its great that Maxtor has the server market in the bag, but who here owns and operates servers? With one bovious exception, not too many. I love my WD and have used it in five comps i have built and none of them have had any problems (THe 80 gig special edition with 8 mb cache)

And are you sure that the HD is not the 4 mb cache one, and that is why they can sell them for 20 dollars?

as I say in many other of these debate posts. dont forget to cool the hard drives, the hate ratios for Maxtor-IBM-Seagate-WD-Fujitsu are probably 1:1:1:1:1. Often, people will hate a drive manufacturer because they had one fail on them. Maybe it got dropped in shipping? maybe it wasnt cooled well enough, maybe a kid put a magnet to it while you were gone. I cant say that there is one hard drive better than the other, for $20 that is a great deal.

BTW, it's in store only.

there is also a 120 at office depot for $40 after rebates and coupons, and a 160 at compusa for 60. I wont state the brands though, because #1 I cant remember, and #2, I dont care.

Though one thing about maxtor that I can credit is that they give you more GBs than WD and Seagate. by about 3 for 120s

I have a WD, i like it alot, I have a maxtor, i dont like it as much. Main reason for this is that the maxtor i have doesnt have the jumper picture thing on top and it pisses me off going from slave to master, i dont even think it has a cable select.

mine does......mine is a 30gig and its one of the thin ones.

i like WD, Maxtor, and Seagate(barracuda only...the Connor ones SUCK)

all about the same, im about to buy 2 120gig WD drives to replace the ones i have.

I've got a WD Caviar and a Maxtor Diamond Max and I can tell you the Maxtor is both quicker and quieter than the WD by far, and they both have the same size cache and speed

I can get Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 160 gig 7200rpm drives with the 8MB cache used for $50.00, but cool thing is they are under the manufacturer's warranty still, less than a year old by manufacture date, and because Maxtor doesn't require proof of purchase or anything but a serial number and an RMA request, you can send it to them and get a new one back, just costs shipping.

Sold one to a friend for $50, my cost, he RMA'd it to Maxtor, and they sent him back a new 200 gig model, no questions asked, so I will continue to use Maxtor for a while.

Their return policy is great and I have yet had one to crash. ;)