Sign in to follow this  
MxGladiator

Dead velociraptor

I had a friend bring a PC to me for a new hard drive. His 150Gb VelociRaptor went completely dead on him. We are replacing it with a VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX 450GB. He had the old drive in a 5.25" enclosure with foam padding. My guess is the idea was to keep the noise down but to me it looks like a good way to over heat a drive in no time. Should I try to put the new drive back in the foam enclosure or let it get some air flow? :dunno:

I wouldn't put any hard drive into a foam enclosure...certainly not a Velociraptor that requires airflow to stay cool!

:withstupid: Faster mechanical drives output more heat, you need to dissipate the heat or it'll burn out. Let it get some airflow.

This will help no one at all, but did anyone else start thinking "WTH, A DEAD VELOCIRAPTOR?" before realizing he was talking about the hard drives? :teehee:

This will help no one at all, but did anyone else start thinking "WTH, A DEAD VELOCIRAPTOR?" before realizing he was talking about the hard drives? :teehee:

Me : DD

LOL :withstupid: It crossed my mind as well.

Glad to know I am not the only one who shares that opinion. Makes me wonder who made that thing. (the foam enclosure)

What's worse is, that thought never crossed my mind. :lol: